YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Genocide in Burma: Monks and Perpetuation of Violence - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

Genocide in Burma: Monks and Perpetuation of Violence

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

Re: Genocide in Burma: Monks and Perpetuation of Violence

Postby Alex123 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun May 05, 2013 10:04 am

Last edited by binocular on Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 am

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 am

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:49 am

I believe much of our impression of the riots in Myanmar is moulded by the Press especially the western press. In every article they rioters are called Buddhist mobs. Why are these thugs identified by the religion of their birth? You don't see the violent rioters of the EDL called Christian mobs even though the EDL has a cross as its logo.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:39 pm

householder

Postby householder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Hello all,

Most Myanmar monks oppose anti-Muslim campaign
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... m-campaign

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

householder

Postby householder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:11 am

All this bullshit got Wirathu propelled onto the front page of TIME this month.

Meanwhile, beyond the 969-plastered teashops, taxis and businesses emanating out from Shwedagon (which, by the way, now has free WIFI that is faster than my home connection and a couple of ATMs scattered around its grounds) and which has rapidly spread throughout the country, the various leading groups of monks seem to be taking different positions on the issue. Or no position, and simply focus on their practice and remind others to do so and remind people of the brahmaviharas and the precepts, which is perhaps the most sensible option these days it seems. The alternative appears to be a drawn-out, high-profile countering of an extremely vocal and seemingly well-resourced minority which would politicise the various sangha groups even further, and there are civil society/interfaith groups that seem to be doing an admirable job on that front already.

daimond

Postby daimond » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 am

householder

Postby householder » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:40 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 am

Not to excuse what is happening in any way, but one has to appreciate the power of group-think that can sweep a nation, particularly one without a strong tradition of independent thought.

I mean we have seen it in Yugoslavia, Sri Lanka, Russia, Japan, etc etc

Sometimes even people exemplary in many other ways fall under its spell. So what I am saying is to practice metta not only for the victims but also for the perpetrators and the enablers.

I am wondering if anyone in Burma has mentioned Germany in early 30's...?
_/|\_

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Roland

Postby Roland » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:23 pm

"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)

binocular

Postby binocular » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank you for sharing - interesting to hear this perspective. Though having only read Western media up until now, I got pretty much the same impression as the Venerable conveys. Maybe it's my filters or maybe it's that the media has not been as bad as he says. Of course there are the usual simplifications and exaggerations - WIrathu is not a Buddhist Bin Laden, but by virtue of being the most prominent face of the anti-Muslim campaign, which has included terror and murder, he has understandably become associated with the worst of it.

Has he preached restraint? Has he urged the people to refrain from violence? I hope so, but even if he has, divisive speech, broad-brush smears and fostering prejudice can only be expected to lead to more bloodshed. So while not advocating the killings, I think he bears some responsibility for them.
_/|\_

binocular

Postby binocular » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Ajatashatru

Postby Ajatashatru » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Seeing some of the posts of these members makes me wonder what fantasy world you guys are living in? I am from India and Northeast India (resembling SE Asia ethnically) is OVERRRUN with Muslim Bangladeshi infiltrators (like Rohingyas). Is anybody aware of how Buddhism was wiped out in Kargil (kashmir) within a century by Muslim intermarriage and overbreeding? Are you guys aware that in India, wherever there are more Muslims than Hindus: kidnappings, rapings, murders, and conversion of kafirs by Muslims is the norm? Have you heard about the plight of Buddhists in nearby Bangladesh.

Let me ask you guys something. Does anyone condemn the bombing of Germany in World War 2? Surely a lot of innocent people lost their lives? But you justify it by saying there was a war going on. Like it or not, the civilized world (especially us belonging to Dharma traditions) are in a war with pan-Islam. There will be innocent blood spilled in a war. We have to deal with it and stop pointing fingers while roosting in our ivory towers.

:anjali:

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”