Is it still possible to get enlightened?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
lewis454

Is it still possible to get enlightened?

Post by lewis454 »

In the way the Buddha talked about? Yes or no? Is there any 'evidence'? It also seems like a lot of different people mean a lot of different things by enlightenment.
BlackBird

Re: Is it still possible to get enlightened?

Post by BlackBird »

Yes, why would it not be possible?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

It all depends on whether one is committed and does the hard work that is required.
kind regrds,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
lewis454

Post by lewis454 »

I'm not sure, but I've heard some people say it's not.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

lewis454 wrote:
I've heard some people say that it is not possible to be free from anger, or never lie. Addicts sometimes feel that life is impossible without the addiction. We get pretty attached to our habits and sometimes it is hard to see beyond them and even trust that there is freedom from them. I think it mostly depends on how much we truly want this freedom, how prepared we are to let go and see through the whole charade.

Sure, kamma has a momentum and sometimes it feels almost inevitable that we fall into the same traps and repeat the same behaviours. That's when practice comes in to help slow down and clarify the process, so that we see it for what it is, and recognize that kamma and habits are empty and just mind-made.
_/|\_
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

lewis454 wrote:
Well those people are wrong, pay them no heed. Pay heed to what you're doing instead :)

Let me ask you this. If man were the same 2550 years ago as he is today, and the Dhamma is the same 2550 years ago as it is today, what makes you think you cannot get enlightened?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

I don't know exactly where the path ultimately leads, but there is a lot of sweet, sweet fruit to pick up along the way, and it gets better as you progress. :)
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Here's what Ajaan Lee Dhammadaro said about it:

When I first became aware of the conflicting views held by people who practice — and of how ill-informed they are — I felt inspired by their desire to learn the truth, but at the same time dismayed over their views: right mixed with wrong, some people saying that nibbana and the paths leading to it still exist, others maintaining that nibbana has passed away and can no longer be attained. This latter belief is a particular cause for dismay, because a desire for nibbana is what has led us all to submit ourselves to the practice of the Buddha's teachings in the first place. If we don't have such a desire, we aren't likely to be especially sincere in our practice; and if we aren't sincere, our practice will be in vain as far as the benefits the Buddha intended for us are concerned, because the Buddha's sole purpose in teaching was to liberate living beings from suffering and stress. If we were to worm our way in as parasites on his religion, it would run counter to his compassionate intentions toward us. Each and every one of us aims for what is good, so we should pay heed to whatever factors may lead to release from suffering and stress. Don't let the Buddha's teaching pass by you in vain.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

lewis454 wrote:In the way the Buddha talked about? Yes or no? Is there any 'evidence'? It also seems like a lot of different people mean a lot of different things by enlightenment.
I would have thought yes, and I would have thought that nothing anybody else says can actually prove it. That's why Buddhism is so dissatisfying, you have to taste it to know it, but when you taste it, it's your own experience to know and learn from. Arguing, trying to see who thinks what, this is ultimately cyclical and doesn't lead anywhere for your practice (assuming it is the practice you are interested in). There are also those who don't get the fruits, so to speak, and trash it, but does it mean that the path is invalid? I don't think so.

Abu
Slava

Post by Slava »

lewis454 wrote:In the way the Buddha talked about?
There is no other way. Eightfold path 2500 years ago, eightfold path today, eightfold path 1000 years from now.
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

The answer to your question lies inside you and not in the opinion of others.
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The Dhamma is timeless.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Playing Devil's advocate here: Although the Dhamma is timeless, what if what the commentaries says is true - that it is not longer possible that someone can attain arhantship at this time? Given the enormous good kamma needed to be born in a time where the Buddha is teaching, why would it not be possible for there to be a cutoff point when it is no longer possible to become enlightened? Unless you want to posit that we have the same tendancies and good kamma as those born at the time of the Buddha. /devilsadvocateover.

The fact is no-one can know, unless they try and fail - and even then it is not wasted energy. So personally, I wouldn't worry about it, given that even those who say arhantship is not possible say that anagami is.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

The best thing to do is to be at ease and keep on practising.

The Buddha said:

..the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
:)
Digity

Post by Digity »

I think the original teachings are intact enough for us to reach Nibbana.
Last edited by Digity on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.