Christianity, from a Buddhist perspective

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BlackBird

Re: Christianity, from a Buddhist perspective

Post by BlackBird »

marc108 wrote:
No offense taken at all. I actually don't have a valid argument that Jesus was a stream enterer. I'm not familiar with the Canonical nuances around stream entry, but only around the destruction of the first 3 fetters: Self-view within the aggregates, Skeptical doubt about the truth, & clinging to rights & rituals... all of which Jesus speaks about often. Granted the NT is extremely course compared to the Suttas and maybe I'm digging here a bit, but these are just my musings... the purpose of this is to keep me interested enough in Christianity to actually do all the reading necessary to do well in this class. :jumping:

Yes I can understand your position quite well :)

I'm interested to hear how you think that Jesus had destroyed self view? Not for the purposes of criticising you, but simply out of curiosity.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

[quote="daverupa] The fact of sin in Xian soteriology is wholly foreign to Buddhist ideations. The very idea of a God such as a Xian might imagine is lampooned in the Nikayas. Xianity adheres strongly to rites & rituals (communion, baptism) which is a fettered approach to morality, on the Buddhist view.

And so forth.
Sam Vara wrote:... there is a huge range of interpretations...
...that are not equivalently plausible. Let's have a look at Xian Hell as a result of the Last Judgement.[/quote]

It depends on what you mean by "sin", doesn't it? Many Christians are happy with the idea of sin meaning "to miss the mark", or "fall short". Francis Spufford in his 2012 book Unapologetic has it as "The human potential to f*** things up", and gives a very nice account of why it might be a good idea to think of it in that way. A Christian might imagine that particular idea of God, but then again, s/he might not do so. And baptism and communion have a huge variety of interpretations, very few of them having anything whatsoever to do with morality.

As for plausibility, that's not much more than a matter of taste, is it? As the Kalama Sutta has it,
don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability
Or, even, by wiki?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Sam Vara wrote:As for plausibility, that's not much more than a matter of taste, is it? As the Kalama Sutta has it,
don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability
Or, even, by wiki?
This is, frankly, a hyperskeptical position. Those are difficult to converse with.

Ultimately, surveys conclude that more Americans believe in heaven than hell. I think popular religion always looks different than the texts in ways such as that, but the variety here is so broad as to make discussion fruitless - anyone can cite some Xian denomination or other which supports any old reading, but even citing texts has gotten a broad "well, but another reading..." response, as though anything goes with the Gospels.

Eh, I'm withdrawn.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kare

Post by Kare »

If we study Buddhism from a Christian perspective, Christianity from a Buddhist perspective, Buddhism from a Hindu perspective .... etc. .... we are bound to get a distorted and lopsided view. We should rather study each religion partly from its own perspective, but mainly from the human perspective.
Mettāya,
Kåre
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coyote wrote:I'm not sure I follow - "parts of God"?. The universe is not a part of God according to classical Christian doctrine, and man was made seperate from God and with free will.
Hence such Christian doctrines are about a mere demigod.

From a Hindu perspective I see your point, but I think it is better to critique Christian conceptions of God with the problem of suffering, or evil, i.e God is perfect and no imperfection (suffering, evil) can come from him. If he allows it, he is not all-powerful ect.
Oh, but many Christians effectively consider a measure of bestiality to be acceptable, so for them, there is no problem with people burning in hell for all eternity or babies being raped and so on.

Bottomline, it comes down to what one wishes to accomplish with a critique of a particular Christian doctrine.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote:Yes, but note that these are not Gospel, are they? More important than the distinction between Buddhavacana and commentary, when talking about God himself.
My favorite verses from the Bible are those where God Himself calls His worshippers "stiff-necked" and how He could destroy them if He'd be too near them. :tongue:

As for intentions in a reading of the Gospel, what would be a better one?
Sure, there's positive things to be said for trying to come up with such an explanation of things according to which everyone is eventually happy.

Kare wrote:If we study Buddhism from a Christian perspective, Christianity from a Buddhist perspective, Buddhism from a Hindu perspective .... etc. .... we are bound to get a distorted and lopsided view. We should rather study each religion partly from its own perspective, but mainly from the human perspective.
And what is that, the "human" perspective?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

binocular wrote: Oh, but many Christians effectively consider a measure of bestiality to be acceptable, so for them, there is no problem with people burning in hell for all eternity or babies being raped and so on.
How do many Christians consider bestiality acceptable? I really don't see your point, or the connection between accepting bestiality and believing eternal hell is just.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coyote wrote:
binocular wrote:Oh, but many Christians effectively consider a measure of bestiality to be acceptable, so for them, there is no problem with people burning in hell for all eternity or babies being raped and so on.
How do many Christians consider bestiality acceptable? I really don't see your point, or the connection between accepting bestiality and believing eternal hell is just.
Ask yourself - under what circumstances, in what frame of mind would you have to be in order to be at peace with the idea that many people will suffer in hell for all eternity?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

binocular wrote:
Coyote wrote:
binocular wrote:Oh, but many Christians effectively consider a measure of bestiality to be acceptable, so for them, there is no problem with people burning in hell for all eternity or babies being raped and so on.
Ask yourself - under what circumstances, in what frame of mind would you have to be in order to be at peace with the idea that many people will suffer in hell for all eternity?

I don't think many are. I know I wasn't. Some make up the idea that those end up in gehenna will be those who have chosen it for themselves, in full knowledge of what they are doing, rejecting God at the last judgement, and will be beyond help. That always appealed to me. Or just shrug their shoulders, believing that the ways of God are mysterious. It's not mentally healthy, I'll give you that. Anyway, what does this have to do with bestiality?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Possibly William Blake's frame of mind. He saw hell as the active principle of genius, which was a torment for the "Angels" of rationality and analysis. But the "Devils" love it there. Just know yourself, he thought, and you will be able to keep away from what does not suit you.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coyote wrote:Anyway, what does this have to do with bestiality?
To me, being at peace with the idea that some people will suffer in hell for all eternity, with no chance of redemption, and that this is good and just, requires a bestial mindset.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

barcsimalsi wrote:I think i will just follow the mainstream assertion that Jesus was a noble figure but the bible is corrupted.
Now why does that idea sound familiar? ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Kare wrote:If we study Buddhism from a Christian perspective, Christianity from a Buddhist perspective, Buddhism from a Hindu perspective .... etc. .... we are bound to get a distorted and lopsided view. We should rather study each religion partly from its own perspective, but mainly from the human perspective.
:goodpost:

Thank you, Kare. This is precisely what I was thinking to say but couldn't quite find a way to word it eloquently.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hickersonia wrote:
:goodpost:

Thank you, Kare. This is precisely what I was thinking to say but couldn't quite find a way to word it eloquently.
Indeed _()_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Agreed. Each spring has be traced back to its own source...or left alone.
During my involvement with Buddhism it was my contention that the same applied to the Mahayana and Theravada too.They each needed to be subject to their own lights.