Buddhism wins Best Religion Award

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Buddhism wins Best Religion Award

Post by DNS »

I heard about this over at Ven. Dhammika's blog:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/onecity/2009/ ... award.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is Ven. Dhammika's response:

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (July 21, 2009 post)

I tend to agree with Ven. Dhammika on this one. What is the use of the award? Wouldn't it be better if people thought the teachings were so good, to actually put them to practice? A vote seems meaningless. It is telling on the greatness of the teachings that no teacher could be found to "accept" the award.
Ben

Re: Buddhism wins Best Religion Award

Post by Ben »

Hi TheDhamma

I heard about the news story too and haven't had time to read Ven Dhammika's response.
I tend to think that it might actually be a work of fiction.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Hi TheDhamma

I heard about the news story too and haven't had time to read Ven Dhammika's response.
I tend to think that it might actually be a work of fiction.
Kind regards

Ben
It is a joke.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ah, okay, that figures, those pranksters! I heard about it at Ven. Dhammika's blog and he made it sound serious and real. :tongue:
Tex

Post by Tex »

the Geneva-based International Coalition for the Advancement of Religious and Spirituality (ICARUS)
Genius!!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The reference to a Sri Lankan Bhikkhu apparently talking about " Buddha Nature within everyone" started ringing alarm bells. :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.