Bhikkhu Bodhi wins award for Anguttara Nikaya translation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Bhikkhu Bodhi wins award for Anguttara Nikaya translation

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Our chairman and founder, Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, received a special honor in late April when he was informed that his translation of the Anguttara Nikaya, The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, was chosen to receive the 2013 Khyentse Foundation Prize for Outstanding Translation Work. More here

(though those robes he's wearing are an "interesting" shade of saffron :? )

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi wins award for Anguttara Nikaya translatio

Post by cooran »

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Well deserved!! It was Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations that brought me to Buddhism.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
cooran wrote:It was Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations that brought me to Buddhism.
:thumbsup:

I'm only up to the Book of Twos at the moment, but I've been quite impressed at the translation effort, even vis-a-vis his earlier fine translation efforts.

I get the sense that nowadays Bhikkhu Bodhi is much less inclined to kowtow to and incorporate the "traditional" interpretations of the texts than he was when he was heavily involved with the Buddist Publication Society (BPS) .

Rather, he appears more prepared to approach the texts at face value and translate their meaning directly without the unnecessary accommodation of traditional interpretations. He takes various sources of information into account (primarily commentaries, agamas etc.) but he does not seem to weigh them disprortionately based upon which lineage they are typically aligned.

Or to put it another way, I feel we're getting a "translation" of the text, rather than a "Theravada translation" of the text. I find that to be honest and of great value.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Bodhi is really deserve for this. :clap:
I manage to locate his work in the following link.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma14/angnik.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: Or to put it another way, I feel we're getting a "translation" of the text, rather than a "Theravada translation" of the text. I find that to be honest and of great value.
Bhikkhu Bodhi had a lot of contact with Mahayana in his early days as a monk (he even ordained with them initially) and then more recently at the monastery where he resides. In between and throughout his career he was mostly in Sri Lanka and of course a fully ordained Theravada monk but I think the exposure to some great Mahayana masters really made him grow spiritually as a great Buddhist monk. For example, he apparently has well-developed karuna and is not dogmatic at all in regards to Theravada or the Commentaries.

:thumbsup: A well-deserved award for one of the greatest monks of modern times.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Retro that's a common shade of robe, most common in Burma, pretty common in Sri Lanka, especially among the Galduwa and the Amarapura nikayas.

Good for Venerable Bodhi. I'm yet to get my mits on a copy of the AN, but I hear he's done a great job. Venerable Bodhi has made a massive contribution to the Dhamma. A scholar monk for the ages :D

May he achieve an excellent rebirth as a result.

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Haha I had quite forgotten about that! But it's as true today as it was way back then.

IIRC someone had made a comment that the Dhammawheel forums could easily double as a Bhikkhu Bodhi fan club.

metta
Jack

P.S. Great win for your boys against Miami today David :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:I get the sense that nowadays Bhikkhu Bodhi is much less inclined to kowtow to and incorporate the "traditional" interpretations of the texts than he was when he was heavily involved with the Buddist Publication Society (BPS) .
I would not characterize the BPS (under the guidance of Ven Nyanaponika) as being rigidly traditional. After all the BPS gave us Ven Nanananda's two excellent none traditional works, CONCEPT AND REAITY and THE MAGIC OF THE MIND as well as his nifty little anthology of the Samyutta Nikaya.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:I get the sense that nowadays Bhikkhu Bodhi is much less inclined to kowtow to and incorporate the "traditional" interpretations of the texts than he was when he was heavily involved with the Buddist Publication Society (BPS) .
I would not characterize the BPS (under the guidance of Ven Nyanaponika) as being rigidly traditional. After all the BPS gave us Ven Nanananda's two excellent none traditional works, CONCEPT AND REAITY and THE MAGIC OF THE MIND as well as his nifty little anthology of the Samyutta Nikaya.
Possibly, yet in "The Heretic Sage" interviews, ven. Nanananda mentions that he felt compelled to tone down some of the texts to accommodate Nyanaponika/BPS's proclivities. Alas the link to those interviews seems to be down at the moment so I cannot provide a direct quote. Either way, I do think Bhikkhu Bodhi has progressively moved away from the conservative/traditional Theravada end of the spectrum.

Metta,
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote: Either way, I do think Bhikkhu Bodhi has progressively moved away from the conservative/traditional Theravada end of the spectrum.
He has said as much, and part of that he has attributed to the influence of living in a Mahayana vihara.

For whatever proclivities that Ven Nyanaponika may have had, he has via the BPS done great service for the Dhamma.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

We should also keep in mind that Ven Nyanaponika's ABHIDHAMMA STUDIES and his HEART OF BUDDHIST MEDITATION were not hard-line traditional Theravada. They were fairly radical.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Wonderful!
cooran wrote:Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
Well deserved!! It was Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations that brought me to Buddhism.
It was my local Wat that brought me to Buddhism, but it was Bhikhu Bodhi's excellent translations and commentary that clarified the details.

:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Congratulations to Bhikkhu Bodhi.
I am not surprised that Bhante has won the award, I just wish there was greater acknowledgement of his fantastic work.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote: Either way, I do think Bhikkhu Bodhi has progressively moved away from the conservative/traditional Theravada end of the spectrum.
From listening to some of his talks, I get the impression that his understanding and confidence as a translator has developed over time - but isn't that what you'd expect?
Anyway, I'm very grateful for all his efforts, and for the work of other translators ( whichever part of the spectrum we think they're on ).
Buddha save me from new-agers!