Theravadin Resource guide

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Theravadin Resource guide

Post by ancientbuddhism »

The Foundations of Buddhism, by Rupert Gethin
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Theravāda in History, by Peter Skilling

• "...This essay is written on the premise that we—historians of Buddhism—do not adequately understand, and have not adequately attempted to understand, the term “Theravāda.” Nonetheless, we have imposed it in our studies to create, in many cases, artificial and ahistorical entities. I believe that we need to reexamine the evidence, to see how the complex of historical movements within Theravāda define and refer to themselves, and to see how they define and refer to others, both Buddhist nikāyas and other religions. I take it as axiomatic that the history of Theravāda cannot be written on the basis of Pali sources alone. We must exploit the full range of sources, including not only the vernaculars of the cultures in which Theravāda has developed from a monastic aggregation into distinctive social complexes, but also the classical Buddhist languages—Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Chinese—and other vernaculars used by Buddhist traditions. We must take epigraphic, literary, archaeological, iconographical, and anthropological evidence into account."
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I'm going to go through and do an update today, it's well over due. If anyone has any resources to add please keep them coming :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Okay, update has been done.

Changed the font size on the titles, think it looks a bit better.

Added a number of resources that were not on the list, Buddha-vacana and nibbanam are just two examples of such. A few audio resources and ebooks, and a blog. Will endeavour to add more later.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

BlackBird wrote:Okay, update has been done.
...but you know, I don't see http://www.palicanon.org/ on there...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

daverupa wrote:
It is done.

In future a better approach might be: "Here's a good website, could you please add it"
Your current mode comes off a tad rude, not that I am in the least upset :)

metta
Jack

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

BlackBird wrote:
daverupa wrote:
It is done.

In future a better approach might be: "Here's a good website, could you please add it"
Your current mode comes off a tad rude, not that I am in the least upset :)

metta
Jack
:embarassed:

rotten ol' internet. I am sorry.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

No problems at all

metta
Jack

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I have made an update to the guide, adding about 4 or 5 new links, including a 'news and journalism' section, so if there are any further Buddhist news or magazine sites to add I would appreciate if people can inform me. And in general - I know there are a few gems out there we've probably missed so if you come across something not contained in the list, please do post here and as long as the content is up to scratch i'll add it to the list asap :)

This thread is the 2nd top result on google for 'Theravadin Resources' and 4th top for 'Theravada Resources' furthermore, as of this post the thread has been viewed over 11,000 times - Which I think makes this all well worth the small effort involved :)

with metta
Jack

mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

ancientbuddhism wrote:The Foundations of Buddhism, by Rupert Gethin
Do you have the permission of the publishers to have this for download? If not, isn't it breaking one of the five precepts to have this for download, and to link to it? I clicked on it, now I'm worried OUP are going to sue me!
- Mal
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

mal4mac wrote:
Do you have the permission of the publishers to have this for download? If not, isn't it breaking one of the five precepts to have this for download, and to link to it? I clicked on it, now I'm worried OUP are going to sue me!
It comes from http://www.watflorida.org, so follow up with them if you are concerned about it, I think.

mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

daverupa wrote:
mal4mac wrote:
It comes from http://www.watflorida.org, so follow up with them if you are concerned about it, I think.
I'll leave them to deal with their own conscience, and be much more careful what I click on here in future.
- Mal
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

7/01/2014 - Added a new section called Dhamma Apps for Android/iOS. Added three apps to the list - Insight Timer, Access To Insight & a chanting app. Have a couple more to add later. Rewrote the entry on Ven. Nyanavira's Dhamma page and added a link to pathpress website including a link to the Bodhesako page, which is otherwise hard to find.

Suggestions as always - Welcome!

starter

Post by starter »

IanAnd wrote:The main teachings to focus on coming to understand and realize are the following:

1. The Four Noble Truths

2. The Noble Eightfold Path

3. The Five Aggregates (this is especially important for insight into beginning to understand the teaching of anatta)

4. The Three Characteristics of Existence (also known as the tilakkhana or anicca, dukkha, and anatta)

5. Dependent Co-Arising (or Dependent Origination — paticca-samuppada)

Other important teachings to become aware of during the course of practice include:

1. The Five Hindrances (especially as they pertain to meditation — sensuous lust, aversion and ill will, sloth and torpor, restlessness and worry, and skeptical doubt)

2. The Seven Factors of Enlightenment (these also as they pertain to the meditation technology — of mindfulness, investigation of states, energy, rapture, tranquility, concentration, and equanimity)

3. The Five Spiritual Faculties (the Indriyas — of faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration, and wisdom)

4. The Ten Fetters of Existence (as they relate to the path and the fruit of the path: self delusion, doubt, clinging to ritual and observances, sensuous lust, ill will, greed for fine material existence, greed for immaterial existence, conceit, restlessness, and ignorance)
Hello "IanAnd",

Thanks for the helpful contribution. May I add the following to your list:

1. Four frames of reference (satipatthana, S. smṛtyupasthāna) or the four foundations of mindfulness
2. Four right exertions (sammappadhana, S. samyakprahṇa)
3. Four bases of (spriritual) power (iddhipada, S. ṛddhipāda)
4. Five (spiritual) powers (bala, S. bala — of faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration, and wisdom)

Metta to all!

Starter
andyebarnes67

Suggested addition - Forest Sangha Publications

Post by andyebarnes67 »

"This Forest Sangha Publications site is dedicated to the free distribution of teachings in the Theravada Buddhist tradition of Venerable Ajahn Chah".
They make available some very good audio and ebook downloads and also, through various monasteries around the world, freely post out hardcopy publications.
http://fsbooks.org/index.php?id=1