Vipassana meditation as taught by Luangpor Pramote

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
gavesako

Vipassana meditation as taught by Luangpor Pramote

Post by gavesako »

Dhamma.com
A guide to mindfulness and Vipassana meditation as taught by Luangpor Pramote

“… When we become aware of our body and mind and accept the truth of them, that they are impermanent, suffering and are not who we are, then we will be liberated and abide in the greatest happiness.”

Luangpor Pramote Pamojjo

Dhamma (Pali) or Dharma (Sanskrit) means the plain, undistorted truth that the Buddha taught.

Dhamma as taught by the Buddha is simple and easy to practice. It is about ourselves and how we can be free from personal suffering. As suffering beings we are deluded about the truths of our body and mind. However, if we practice the Dhamma, we turn our attention to our body and our mind and unveil their true characteristics. Our suffering lessens as we gradually come to understand the Dhamma more and more.

This website is a collection of Dhamma materials conveyed by the venerable Luangpor Pramote Pamojjo, a master teacher of mindfulness for the modern world and Vipassana meditation. We are very happy to share the gift of Dhamma with you all.

About Luang Por Pramote Pamojjo
Venerable “Luang Por” Pramote is a Buddhist monk residing in Suan Santidham (The Garden of Peaceful Dhamma), Sriracha, Chonburi, Thailand. He teaches the Dhamma to avid practitioners looking to truly understand the middle way and to progress in their practice. Bangkok residents set out on an hour and a half drive in the darkness of the early morning to arrive before sunrise and line up outside Luang Por’s center to get a good seat to listen to his teachings, express their concerns regarding their own practice and receive individual advice – a custom that has been coined “submitting their homework” for the headmaster to fine-tune or modify.

He travels tirelessly around Thailand and abroad, teaching and helping to wake up the minds of people as he goes, in what is quickly becoming one of the biggest Buddhist enlightenment movements in recent times.

Luangpor became a monk in 2001 after being an avid meditator since he was seven years old. He has had many teachers along the way, but considers himself primarily a disciple of Luang Pu Dune, from North Eastern Thailand’s forest monk lineage of Luang Pu Mun Bhūridatto.

http://www.dhamma.com/
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
gavesako

Re: Vipassana meditation as taught by Luangpor Pramote

Post by gavesako »

(Sound Effect) Venerable Pramote Pamojjo (English Subtitle)

The Teachings of "Venerable Pramote Pamojjo"
at "Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University"

Luangpor Pramote Pamojjo was from
"Wat Suan Santidham"
Chonburi, Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsqTtM9rvQ
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Path_of_Freedom_English_Movie

Buddhist Meditation instruction by Ven. Pramote Pamotecho of Thailand, with clear, concise and simple advice to properly meditate in Insight/Vipassana Meditation and Tranquility/Concentration Meditation, given on June 16, 2012, at Wat Phrasriratanaram Buddhist Temple, St. Louis, Missouri, USA., translated by Prof. Dr. Kongsak Tanphaichitr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EggJoPh0VmI
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Richkierich

Post by Richkierich »

Hi guys, I came across Luangpor Pramote's teaching of insight in daily life over in Youtube and wanted to ask some questions about the practice, is there any way or any members here who follow Luangpor's teachings?

In our practice of awareness in daily life/activities, do we still need a home base or anchor as a benchmark to make it easier to notice that the mind has got lost in thought or feelings? If yes, can we use the breath as an anchor in daily activities? I am currently observing my mind to see it thinking or getting lost in anger etc but I am unsure if this is correct. Luangpor did mention to observe the body or mind, but I am unsure he refers this to formal meditation sitting or in daily life.
:anjali:
FollowerOfTheWay

Post by FollowerOfTheWay »

I recently discovered Luangpor Pramote myself. I am probably not adept enough to answer your questions, but you can find his teachings at http://dhamma.com, which range from very simple to very in depth. I'm sure you can find the answers there. The first teaching of his I found in the Google Play store was Buddhism & Mindfulness (The Buddhist Way to Peace of Mind.) You can find both the text version and animated audio versions for free here https://archive.org/details/TheBuddhist ... d/page/n21

I also highly recommended Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now. Although Tolls draws from Hinduism and Christianity, as well as Buddhism, his teachings and teaching style is very similar to Luangpor Pramote. I hope this is helpful
:namaste:
FollowerOfTheWay

Post by FollowerOfTheWay »

Here is a brief video from which I believe will answer your questions. I believe there is a text version at http://dhamma.com, also
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Just started his "A Meditator's Guide" pdf. 66 pages.

Very concise and elegant.

No complains - it imbibes the taste of the Dhamma. No foreign-idea-inserts, no political hermeneutics disguised as Buddhism.

Thanks for sharing this Bikkhu's writings.

Liking his approach very much:
We unwittingly believe that if a
meditation center becomes popular, it must be a good
one. The truth is it may or may not be. Furthermore,
the master may be first-class, but if the practice doesn’t
suit our aptitudes and we merely follow the technique
as directed, we won’t accomplish much. So before we
practice we need to observe ourselves and determine
where our abilities lie.
p.22
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

My wife was a disciple of Phra Pramote, in Chonburi, following his meditation instructions for several years. It lead her to strange episodes during the meditation that kept her away from practicing meditation for more than 18 years, until now.

She says that his method was misleading. Not offering a solid base of awareness. I cannot discuss this issue, because I haven't studied his teachings and she got rid of his books (anyway, she was following his direct spoken instructions). But I've found other persons here in Thailand that also stay away from his method.
rybka3

Post by rybka3 »

Richkierich wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 am Hi guys, I came across Luangpor Pramote's teaching of insight in daily life over in Youtube and wanted to ask some questions about the practice, is there any way or any members here who follow Luangpor's teachings?

In our practice of awareness in daily life/activities, do we still need a home base or anchor as a benchmark to make it easier to notice that the mind has got lost in thought or feelings? If yes, can we use the breath as an anchor in daily activities? I am currently observing my mind to see it thinking or getting lost in anger etc but I am unsure if this is correct. Luangpor did mention to observe the body or mind, but I am unsure he refers this to formal meditation sitting or in daily life.
From what I've read about his method (admittedly not much), he allows meditators to choose what suits them. Breath is of course a possible anchor. I don't think there's much difference in the way you practice meditation between the cushion and daily life. You can watch mind movements at any time right?
Personally I practice open awareness, so my anchor is probably the mind itself.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Richkierich wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 am Hi guys, I came across Luangpor Pramote's teaching of insight in daily life over in Youtube and wanted to ask some questions about the practice, is there any way or any members here who follow Luangpor's teachings?

Sayadaw U Tejaniya teaches more specifically. See https://ashintejaniya.org/