What is meant by being mindful of doubting?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Umos

What is meant by being mindful of doubting?

Post by Umos »

When we doubt, we should stay mindful and see how it arises and seizes. But how can we be mindful in daily life and see any doubt about anything that arises just seize to exist? I have problems with being mindful of doubt. If someone tells me he is superman, I have doubts about that, and it doesnt just arise and seize.
acinteyyo

Re: What is meant by being mindful of doubting?

Post by acinteyyo »

Umos wrote:I have problems with being mindful of doubt. If someone tells me he is superman, I have doubts about that, and it doesnt just arise and seize.
Actually they do if you observe them closely. To take up your example. Someone tells you he is superman, then doubts arise. When you are mindful of that you know that there are doubts. But you certainly doesn't have the words of someone who told you he is superman in mind all the time, so doubts with regard to that cease at one point. When you are mindful of that you know that there aren't doubts. This way you are mindful of arising and ceasing of doubts.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Umos

Post by Umos »

acinteyyo wrote:
Umos wrote:I have problems with being mindful of doubt. If someone tells me he is superman, I have doubts about that, and it doesnt just arise and seize.
Actually they do if you observe them closely. To take up your example. Someone tells you he is superman, then doubts arise. When you are mindful of that you know that there are doubts. But you certainly doesn't have the words of someone who told you he is superman in mind all the time, so doubts with regard to that cease at one point. When you are mindful of that you know that there aren't doubts. This way you are mindful of arising and ceasing of doubts.

best wishes, acinteyyo
thanks for the answer acinteyyo.
Yes what you say is true. But the doubt about superman is not overcome. Is being mindful of doubt, only meant as being distracted from the doubt in some way? If we stay mindful and focused by using a mantra on the doubt, then we can meditate on the doubting for days and weeks if we exclude the need to eat and drink.
perkele

Post by perkele »

If we stay mindful and focused by using a mantra on the doubt, then we can meditate on the doubting for days and weeks if we exclude the need to eat and drink.
If you can do that, that's impressive. Maybe you can enter some deep jhana through that. :lol:
Now I'm doubting that: doubting, doubting, doubting... ;)

Okay. But I see what you are getting at. If you have so much doubt about superman then maybe you should speak to him personally, investigate him closely. :spy:
Are you real, superman? I have doubts. I don't believe you. You're just a pretender, aren't you?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Umos wrote:thanks for the answer acinteyyo.
you're welcome!
Umos wrote:Yes what you say is true. But the doubt about superman is not overcome. Is being mindful of doubt, only meant as being distracted from the doubt in some way?
You overcome doubts by knowing and seeing them for what they are. To see doubts for what they are you have to be mindful of doubts. It doesn't mean being distracted from doubt in some way. Quite the opposite!
MN10 - Satipatthana Sutta: The Foundations of Mindfulness wrote:How, monks, does a monk live contemplating mental objects in the mental objects of the five hindrances?
When doubt is present, he knows, "There is doubt in me," or when doubt is not present, he knows, "There is no doubt in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen doubt comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen doubt comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned doubt comes to be.
With regards to the doubts about superman, you have to know when doubt is present: "there is doubt in me", or when doubt is not present: "There is no doubt in me". You have to know how the non-arisen doubt comes to be, how the abandoning of the arisen doubt comes to be, and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned doubt comes to be.
If you don't know it yet contemplate on it mindfully.
Umos wrote:If we stay mindful and focused by using a mantra on the doubt, then we can meditate on the doubting for days and weeks if we exclude the need to eat and drink.
Personally I wouldn't use a mantra. I prefer observing the object of meditation directly. But if a mantra helps you focusing on the object of meditation and it's beneficial to your practice then go for it.
I'm one of those who think that we don't need a special time or special practices to observe things. In the same way as we breathe while we're still able to do different tasks, we are able to observe and contemplate any phenomena in the present moment while doing what we do living life. But of course, sitting still supports a more accurate observation.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

The doubt that must be overcome is referring to doubt about the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, not just doubt about anything. Satisampajanna is the goal when doubt arises, but perhaps you might also consider other practices aimed at removing doubt such as recollection of the triple gem, as well as study in order to resolve those issues that you might have doubt about.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26