Bhikkhu Ñanananda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rowyourboat

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi dharmaamrita

Well quite possibly, but then it would be mere speculation wouldn't it? He had a certain diminutive behaviour I have come to see as a sign of high attainment, but one never knows. Ven Sariputta was said to be like a child begging for food from the lowest cast in India, and Ven Ananda notes this about him (in praise).

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Moth

Post by Moth »

Interview with Nanananda Thera

http://nidahas.com/2010/08/nanananda-heretic-sage-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moth

Post by Moth »

I am trying to get a hold of a hardcopy of Nibbana - The Mind Stilled.
According to the Wikipedia article there is an organization that distributes it for free, but I am not sure how to get in touch with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibbana-The_Mind_Stilled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know where I can find this?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Moth,

No, but if you do, please let me know!

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bump
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Link to online PDF.

Nibbāna-The Mind Stilled
Bhikkhu Ñāṇananda

http://www.watflorida.org/Nibbana-The%2 ... illed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was pleasantly surprised (to put it mildly) at finding pdfs of most books I was planning to buy at the below location :)

http://www.watflorida.org/Library.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kamran wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised (to put it mildly) at finding pdfs of most books I was planning to buy at the below location :)

http://www.watflorida.org/Library.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would approach this stuff carefully in that I seriously doubt if the copyrights of many of these books are not being violated.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

tiltbillings wrote:
Kamran wrote:

I would approach this stuff carefully in that I seriously if the copyrights of many of these books are not being violated.
No doubt.

(see what I did there? ha ha!)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

daverupa wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Kamran wrote:

I would approach this stuff carefully in that I seriously doubt if the copyrights of many of these books are not being violated.
No doubt.

(see what I did there? ha ha!)
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I've just read "Concept and Reality" ( thanks to ImageMarie ) but found some of his reasoning hard to follow. Here is one example:

Nanananda quotes this passage from the Udana on page 59:

"There, where earth, water , fir e, and wind no footing find,
There are the stars not bright, nor is the sun resplendent,
No moon shines there, ther e is no darkness seen.
And then when he, the Arahant, has in his wisdom seen,
From well and ill, from form and formless, is he freed,"

Nanananda's concluding comment on this passage ( page 60 ) is as follows:

"Thus the allusion here, with its touch of imagery (a feature as apt as it is recurrent in such inspired verses), is most probably to that transcendental consciousness of the living Arahant in which the concepts such as earth, water , fire, and air , stars, sun, moon, darkness (of ignorance), realms of form and formless realms, happiness and unhappiness, have lost their 'substantiality' in more than one sense."

One of the things I don't get here is the description of earth, water, fire and air as concepts - they seem to me like basic perceptions, a function of sanna. Earlier in the book he seems to say that papanca occurs subsequent to sanna but here he seems to be equating them?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Spiny Norman wrote:One of the things I don't get here is the description of earth, water, fire and air as concepts - they seem to me like basic perceptions, a function of sanna. Earlier in the book he seems to say that papanca occurs subsequent to sanna but here he seems to be equating them?
The point is about the loss of substantiality... that dhammas are no longer regarded as substantial by the arahant, either by way of perception or thought.

Papanca is what can happen when dhammas are granted substantiality. If they're not, then there's only nippapanca.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:One of the things I don't get here is the description of earth, water, fire and air as concepts - they seem to me like basic perceptions, a function of sanna. Earlier in the book he seems to say that papanca occurs subsequent to sanna but here he seems to be equating them?
The point is about the loss of substantiality... that dhammas are no longer regarded as substantial by the arahant, either by way of perception or thought.
Papanca is what can happen when dhammas are granted substantiality. If they're not, then there's only nippapanca.
I'm not clear on how the substantiality of dhamma relates to papanca. I looked at MN1, which Nanananda also refers to, and at MN1.147 it says: "The Tathagata directly knows earth as earth". This suggests that while the Tathagata isn't involved in conceiving ( mannati ) or proliferation ( papanca ) there is still the process of perception ( sanna ).
Is this consistent with what Nananda is saying?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

With reference to MN 1...
The Blessed One said: "There is the case, monks, where an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — perceives earth as earth. Perceiving earth as earth, he conceives [things] about earth, he conceives [things] in earth, he conceives [things] coming out of earth, he conceives earth as 'mine,' he delights in earth. Why is that? Because he has not comprehended it, I tell you.
"A monk who is a trainee — yearning for the unexcelled relief from bondage, his aspirations as yet unfulfilled — directly knows earth as earth. Directly knowing earth as earth, let him not conceive things about earth, let him not conceive things in earth, let him not conceive things coming out of earth, let him not conceive earth as 'mine,' let him not delight in earth. Why is that? So that he may comprehend it, I tell you.
"A monk who is a Worthy One, devoid of mental fermentations — who has attained completion, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, destroyed the fetters of becoming, and is released through right knowledge — directly knows earth as earth. Directly knowing earth as earth, he does not conceive things about earth, does not conceive things in earth, does not conceive things coming out of earth, does not conceive earth as 'mine,' does not delight in earth. Why is that? Because he has comprehended it, I tell you.
I would suggest that what the arahant directly knows (in contrast to the run-of-the-mill's perceives) is what presents at the sense doors, uncontaminated by apperception.

Let not the trainee contaminate sensory perception with apperception, so that he/she may comprehend it.

Metta,
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

With reference to MN 1...
The Blessed One said: "There is the case, monks, where an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — perceives earth as earth. Perceiving earth as earth, he conceives [things] about earth, he conceives [things] in earth, he conceives [things] coming out of earth, he conceives earth as 'mine,' he delights in earth. Why is that? Because he has not comprehended it, I tell you.

"A monk who is a Worthy One, devoid of mental fermentations — who has attained completion, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, destroyed the fetters of becoming, and is released through right knowledge — directly knows earth as earth. Directly knowing earth as earth, he does not conceive things about earth, does not conceive things in earth, does not conceive things coming out of earth, does not conceive earth as 'mine,' does not delight in earth. Why is that? Because he has comprehended it, I tell you.
I would suggest that what the arahant directly knows (in contrast to the run-of-the-mill's perceives) is what presents at the sense doors, uncontaminated by apperception.
By apperception do you mean conceiving? And are you suggesting that an Arahant doesn't perceive? As far as I can see MN1 is basically saying that an Arahant perceives ( sanna ) but doesn't conceive ( mannati ) - if an Arahant wasn't perceiving then he presumably wouldn't be able to distinguish earth from water and so on.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote: I would suggest that what the arahant directly knows (in contrast to the run-of-the-mill's perceives) is what presents at the sense doors, uncontaminated by apperception.

Let not the trainee contaminate sensory perception with apperception, so that he/she may comprehend it.
By "apperception" do you mean this?
In psychology, apperception is "the process by which new experience is assimilated to and transformed by the residuum of past experience of an individual to form a new whole."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apperception
If so, the first sentence I quoted is quite standard, isn't it?

I'm afraid I don't understand the second one, thought...

Mike