YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bhikkhu Ñanananda - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

Bhikkhu Ñanananda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:12 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 am

Very interesting Sylvester. Can I summarize your point as something like the following?

1. There are some passages in the suttas that seem to be very difficult to interpret.
2. Some scholars, such as Ven Nanananda, have reasoned out particular interpretations and they feel that the Theravada have erred on some key points.
3. Other scholars, while agreeing that the Commentators missed the point, would argue that the key problem is actually not understanding the Upanishadic background. When that is factored in, they become much simpler. As Sylvester explains, if you take Upanishadic references (e.g. the "All" not being the Buddha's usual "All", as Ven Thanissaro assumes, but the Upanishadic "Ground of Existence") then much of MN1 looks less mysterious.

It is fortunate that we have access to various perspectives.

:anjali:
Mike

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:23 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:24 am

Dairy Lama

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks Mike. I could not have summarised it better.

I get the sense that many modern commentators do not resort to the Upanisadic background, even if it is glaringly obvious. One reason could be deference to "orthodoxy". But another might be the concern that if Buddhism becomes nothing more than reaction to Upanisadic thought, that could potentially mean that Buddhism is not a universalisable remedy to the problems of existence. To that, we have more than enough suttas which showed that the Buddha was not restricted to the problems posed by His contemporary seekers, but finding keystones to a universal problem, ie rebirth.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am

Zenainder

Postby Zenainder » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 am

Considered me "attached" for the next couple of months... Lol ... thanks for sharing, I am learning an immense amount and this has been insightful in my practice.
My blog:

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

Well, I'm all for simplicity, and it is possible that the historical context may provide simpler explanations than Ven Nanananda's often rather difficult (to me) expositions. For example, Prof Gombrich and others argue that the first four links of the Dependent Origination sequence may be interpreted a parody the Rig Veda sequence http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7464 That argument, if correct, is very helpful in clarifying the meaning of nama-rupa.

:anjali:
Mike

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Dairy Lama

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Dairy Lama

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Dairy Lama

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:23 am

Dairy Lama

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am

Dharmasar

Postby Dharmasar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Well this is an old thread, and I'm not certain if anyone is still following it, but here goes...

I recently spent two years in Sri Lanka, living in monasteries and searching for a realized teacher. I should mention that I was a Vedic monk for over 30 years, studying and practicing Bhakti and Vedānta, before ordaining in the Theravāda line. While I met many competent and well-informed meditation teachers, none of them seemed like they really knew. Or perhaps they weren't open enough with a westerner or good enough with English that their real quality could shine out.

Anyway, one of my first Buddhist friends in Sri Lanka, a producer for Buddhist TV, recommended that I visit Ven. Kaṭakurunde Ñāṇananda. Almost simultaneously another good friend gave me his book Magic of the Mind. I was deeply impressed. Within a few days I was able to arrange a ride to his place. Unfortunately he had to leave his previous monastery and is now living in a small cottage nearby. Some supporters are arranging a new piece of land but at the time I visited, it wasn't ready yet.

I was at once struck by his openness, simplicity and joyfulness. Our time together was not long because of his health issues, but the topics he was able to communicate struck me with profound insight. I experienced a deep peacefulness in his presence that I had not felt with any of the other monks I visited. His presence inspired me to study and meditate on all his published works. He has written enough to occupy a lifetime of study and teaching.

Unfortunately due to the difficulties in accommodation, it was not possible for me to stay with him. But his presence is a palpable inspiring force in my life, and I feel he is the master I was searching for since I came to the Buddha's teaching. I would like to contact direct students of his in Sri Lanka, so the next time I go there I can get their association.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”