Teaching Kids

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Thaibebop

Teaching Kids

Post by Thaibebop »

I am still learning myself which makes this hard, but I would think even if I was an expert it would syill prove a challenge. I am trying to teach my six year old daughter Buddhist values. However, so much of what I turn to is hard for her to understand. Maybe it requires a history lesson than becomes too much information or it's too abstract for a six year, which boggles my mind because I thought the only thing a six year could be was abstract. So, how do I get the fundatmentals across to her? What would have real meaning for her enough that she can grasp on to it herself, use it and understand it? Thanks for the help.

Thaibebop
retrofuturist

Re: Teaching Kids

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Thaibebop,

I strongly recommend sticking to things like compassion, lovingkindess, generosity and equanimity than some of the teachings which require "insight" or an appreciation of the nature of life in order to make them work.

See also this related topic...

Buddhism For The 21st Century Parent
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi TBB

I would focus on sila, on readng with her some of the jatakas which have been made into children's story books, and teaching her anapana meditation (focusing her to do five or ten minutes a day). For a six year old, that should be more than enough. And leave it up to your child if they want to explore it/doing it.
A few years ago, an assistant teacher friend of mine authorised me to teach anapana to my son who was six at the time. We focused on the samatha form of the technique and as time passed i imparted some of the 'values' by way of story or as explanation why I did or didn't do certain things. eg: taking care of animals, not harming them, not harmng others, not lying, non-drinking, etc.
Keep it simple and fun, and let your shared meditation/teaching time be special time for both you and your daughter and you should do just fine.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Thanks. I was thinking about meditation because she really needs to improve her focus and memory. Like all kids I suppose she is quick to forget what she was told and is guided morre by her energy than thoughts. How do you get a six year old to mediatate anyway? Any ideas?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Just instruct her to watch (with her mind) the place where the breath touches around the outside edge of the nostrils (or under the nostrils) and keep the focus there for as long as possible (within reason). Thats all you need to do. Make it fun and a special quiet time for both of you.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Ben wrote:Just instruct her to watch (with her mind) the place where the breath touches around the outside edge of the nostrils (or under the nostrils) and keep the focus there for as long as possible (within reason). Thats all you need to do. Make it fun and a special quiet time for both of you.
HEY! That's a great idea! So nice and simple, thank you so much!
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

My six year old boy is fascinated when he see's me meditating sometimes and having conversations with my wife on Buddhist related topics.
So i have told him the basics of Kamma, in the aspect that if they are rude it will not only hurt others feelings, but make them feel bad for hurting them too, and other cause and effect topics, also getting him to sit down and try to have very short meditation sessions, foccusing on the breath at the nostrils.
He is very keen to learn more always...as am i. that seems a good start for me anyway, hope it helps!?

With Metta,
Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

personal example is very important too...
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
thecap

Post by thecap »

Don't try too hard, or they will teach you. :)

The kids here, reminders of non-harming and two breath sessions was all I taught them. They can and will come back to it whenever they feel like it.
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

thecap wrote:Don't try too hard, or they will teach you. :)

The kids here, reminders of non-harming and two breath sessions was all I taught them. They can and will come back to it whenever they feel like it.
I was going with that approach yet they get more ideas from school and the kids there, even the school system, which is why I took a more active approach and trying not to push.