What's on your toolbar?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

What's on your toolbar?

Post by DNS »

From another thread, where I posted:
TheDhamma wrote: Another thing you can do is bookmark it and put it in your toolbar for a handy way to get to it. Using Firefox, you can click and drag the favicon to your toolbar and then the link with the favicon yellow wheel will show in your toolbar for easy access.
Which gets me to thinking, what do you have on your toolbar? Any other interesting Dhamma websites? If you don't use a toolbar for easy access to bookmarks, then what are some of your favorite sites?

My toolbar contains:

Dhamma Wheel
Dhamma Wiki
Dharma Wheel
E-sangha
Dhamma musings (Ven. Dhammika's blog)
Google Saffron
Access to Insight
Wikipedia
retrofuturist

Re: What's on your toolbar?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings TheDhamma,

From memory my Google Chrome equivalent of the toolbar has the following Dhamma-related things...

Dhamma Wheel
Dharma Wheel
Access To Insight
E-Sangha
Zen Forum International
Google Saffron ( http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00545 ... cbjbznmwso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I label them all in code so I can fit more in (e.g. DW, DWM, A2I, ES, ZFI, Saffron)

... plus some bumf with no little or relevance to the Dhamma. I do have a few bookmarks as well, but I don't store too many because if something is of relevance from a Theravada perspective, I usually reference it straight into Google Saffron instead.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Don't forget Buddhanet!...I've got plenty, and will look around for some that may be of interest to everyone...on a side note, I wouldn't be without the google toolbar on firefox...indispensible...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: I label them all in code so I can fit more in (e.g. DW, DWM, A2I, ES, ZFI, Saffron)
Forgot to mention that, yes that is a good tip, I do that too.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have my bookmarks sectioned for topic and what the site is!

in Dhamma my section for Dhamma related stuff obviously :tongue:
AUDIO
Dhamma Talks (forest sangha)
Dhamma Talks (Thanisarro)
Sutta Readings

Dhamma Education Sites
20 sites I think there are loads you think of the center I probably have a link to it

Dhamma Texts
A2I
Wikipitaka
Wikivinaya
Buddhasassana English Section
Buddhanet
Bodhgaya News
EVinaya (I think is closed now or will be soon)
101 Zen Stories
Deoxi Koans

SANGHA
Forest Sangha Homepage
Isle of Man Dhamma Sangha
Michael Kewley
Sitagu Vihara (Texas)
Sayadaw U Nayanissara
Satipannya Buddhist Trust
Dhamma Wheel

I think that covers most of them, Allot of web sites I go on regularly I don;t use the bookmarks for as I know the link is in a certain bookmark, and most of these I have fo efeence when I want to find a specific thing.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all

I don't really use the toolbar/favourites function as I usually go on memory or google what I'm looking for.
I've committed to memory a few websites incl. access to insight and Buddhanet (for the directory).
Near the top of my hit list includes Dharmawheel and Zenforuminterntational. I rarely log on to e-sangha these days.
I also visit the main SN Goenka websites including http://www.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (for worldwide centres, information for those intereted in ten-day courses and cours schedules for individual centres) and the associated Vipassana Research Institute http://www.vri.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where I can download copies of newsletters, articles and other resources for 'old students'.
From time to time I'll also visit the Bodhi Monastery site to download copies of Bhikkhu Bodhi's Majjhima Nikaya talks. And occassionally I'll download a podcast at Buddhist Geeks (google it should get you the url).\
If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ben wrote:I don't really use the toolbar/favourites function as I usually go on memory or google what I'm looking for.
Same for me [at work]. I have the google search bar thing in Firefox and I tend to just type what I need in there. For example, if I want a wikipedia page explaining the brahmaviharas I type 'wikipedia brahmavihara' and it comes right up. Say I want to read my favourite Canki Sutta, I'll type 'accesstoinsight canki sutta' et voila.

The reason is that at work if I do use the internet it's generally for searching for what I don't know, so bookmarks would be a waste.

At home, however, I tend to use my phone for the internet [a phone that is actually faulty and due to be replaced by three mobile after months of back-n-forthing, I'll explain another time] and typing on my phone isn't as easy. I have bookmarks to accesstoinsight, dhammawheel, yahoo! answers, facebook, myspace, e-sangha, things like that.

Dhammawheel is actually number 1 on my opera mini speed-dial :)
Individual

Post by Individual »

What's on my toolbar?

It begins with a P and rhymes with corn.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
andrewuk

Post by andrewuk »

Individual wrote:What's on my toolbar?

It begins with a P and rhymes with corn.
can you have popcorn in your toolbar?...
Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!