21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

Postby kizma » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:33 pm

I've flirted with 2 meals and 1 meal a day a few times before and I always run into the same problem: sugar gets really, really tempting.
Most times, I went back to bad habits just because I ended up snacking (before noon) on either cookies, ice cream or chocolate.
I've experimented enough with nutrition and diet to know that if there is one thing I should change in my dietary habits, it's the intake of sugar.

Starting today I will experiment for 21-days the complete removal of sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet.

I find that having a fixed duration for such a challenge makes it much more easy to accomplish (compared to "quitting forever")

Benefits will include:
Less attachment to foodstuff, more clarity, more energy, less sloth and torpor when meditating (!!), better sleep.

Some tricks to help me in the first few days:
    Have a bunch of fruits on hand in case of severe craving
    Introduce more vegetables to each meal
    Spend more time outside walking

I am sharing this with you so you may feel inspired to try this out with me.

It can be much easier when we progress together!
kizma

Re: 21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Fruit is full of simple sugars.
So if you are eating fruit, your diet is far from being simple carb, sugar-free.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby kizma » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Good point, Ben. :)

Simple carbs with the exception of fruit.
But somehow I think you knew what I meant.
kizma

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 pm

kizma wrote:Good point, Ben. :)

Simple carbs with the exception of fruit.
But somehow I think you knew what I meant.

I knew what you meant. If you want to go on a simple carbohydrate free diet then you should also remove fruit from your diet.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Coyote » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Kizma,

Good luck! I think the body gets used to certain amounts of sugar, so it is good to cut back. I have even heard of children who, since they have not become used to very sweet foods, find fruits like sloe berries edible and not too astringent.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Mojo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:01 pm

I think the South Beach Diet offers a balanced approach to breaking sugar cravings. Unsure if you are vegetarian or not, but its no problem on South Beach.
Mojo

Postby binocular » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:22 pm

kizma wrote:I've flirted with 2 meals and 1 meal a day a few times before and I always run into the same problem: sugar gets really, really tempting.
Most times, I went back to bad habits just because I ended up snacking (before noon) on either cookies, ice cream or chocolate.
I've experimented enough with nutrition and diet to know that if there is one thing I should change in my dietary habits, it's the intake of sugar.

Starting today I will experiment for 21-days the complete removal of sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet.

In my experience and insight, the actual problem are processed commercial foods, notably cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta.

Foods that I myself cook from the basic ingredients, even if they do contain sugar, arouse far less craving and other problems in me than store-bought ones. After having eaten commercial ready-made foods of any kind, but especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta, I feel very tired and hungry.
So I think that the most I can do to improve one's diet, is to cook all the food myself, from the basic ingredients.
binocular

Postby kizma » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Foods that I myself cook from the basic ingredients, even if they do contain sugar, arouse far less craving and other problems in me than store-bought ones. After having eaten commercial ready-made foods of any kind, but especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta, I feel very tired and hungry.
So I think that the most I can do to improve one's diet, is to cook all the food myself, from the basic ingredients.

I've had the same experience.

Usually when I craved sugar(sweets, dessert, etc.) I would eat insane amounts of it. I don't have this problem with any other type of food.
It's been affecting my health for a while now.

As for bread and pasta, I've noticed that it alters my mood in a very similar way. It also increases the craving for sugar.
kizma

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 am

Greetings kizma,

To help me put this in content, what kind of exercise do you typically do?

I ask mainly because I find that what I eat (or more specifically, the number of meals a day) is primarily driven by how much or how little exercise I do, and the thought of no-carbs when I am physically active is pretty uninviting.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby kizma » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:02 am

Hi Retro,

Sorry, I realize that the title is misleading.
What I stopped eating for 21 days are these two categories:
1- Food that contain sweeteners such as white/brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc.
2- Food that contain wheat, corn, potatoes and white rice

To help me put this in content, what kind of exercise do you typically do?

I usually go out for long walks in the park or at the mountain and do some stretching.

On most days I'll have brown/wild rice with tempeh, spinach(or bok choy), sauerkraut, wakame, and a tahini+miso sauce.
I believe this kind of meal to be suitable for any kind of physical exercice.
kizma

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:45 am

Would love to see some photos of those aforementioned meals!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby kizma » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 pm

kizma

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 pm

:thumbsup:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Mojo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Looks pretty starchy. Its filling you up until the next time you had planned to eat?
Mojo

Postby manas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 am

Ben wrote:Fruit is full of simple sugars.
So if you are eating fruit, your diet is far from being simple carb, sugar-free.

Hi Ben

fruit is replete with simple sugars, but it also contains vitamins, minerals and most importantly 'living', biologically active water which the cells of our body need. It's only concentrated forms of sugar that are harmful, and spike blood sugar in a way that throws us off balance - chocolate, cake, white bread or even honey can do this - but having an apple (for example) will only do good, and won't spike the blood sugar in an unhealthy way.

kind regards
:anjali:
______________________*__*__*______________________

I could die today, and I don't want to die without having done
some citta-bhavana, so I will do some citta-bhavana today.
manas

Postby manas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:40 am

Hi kizma,

well done on your attempt to cut down on overly sweet / starchy foods. Here's a useful chart I found that might be of assistance, it documents the GI and the GL of a range of common foods (glycemic index and glycemic load):

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/ ... _foods.htm

kind regards,
______________________*__*__*______________________

I could die today, and I don't want to die without having done
some citta-bhavana, so I will do some citta-bhavana today.
manas

Postby Mojo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 am

manas wrote:

Hi Ben

fruit is replete with simple sugars, but it also contains vitamins, minerals and most importantly 'living', biologically active water which the cells of our body need. It's only concentrated forms of sugar that are harmful, and spike blood sugar in a way that throws us off balance - chocolate, cake, white bread or even honey can do this - but having an apple (for example) will only do good, and won't spike the blood sugar in an unhealthy way.

kind regards

Fruit juice is pretty easy to overdo. 4oz/120ml is one serving of fruit. It's healthier to just eat the fruit though.
Mojo

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 am

Greetings Manas,

manas wrote:

Hi Ben

kind regards

I disagree with you entirely - which I won't go into right at this moment. However, what I am interested in the above is the term " 'living', biologically active water". I would appreciate it if you could explain to me what it means.
Thanks

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby kizma » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi Ben,
I would love to hear your views on this, because I happen to share manas' opinion and I would be very grateful if you could enlighten us with a perspective that we have not thought of on the subject of sugars. :anjali:

On another note, this experiment was a success on my side. This was a great opportunity to have a good look at cravings and automatic reactions to emotional distress.

For some reason many people offered me pastries during those three weeks. The first week was kind of hard, especially te first days. But then it felt like I was being nice to myself and I felt happy to decline.
kizma

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness