YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals - Page 11 - Dhamma Wheel

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dan74

Re: The Nude Monk's Burning Robes

Postby Dan74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:41 am

If this info fell into my hands, I would first try to contact the parties involved for comment before putting it on the interwebs.

Suppose it is a lie or largely inaccurate. How would the monks, the abbot, the laity who have put so much into this monastic community feel? Some people may want to go and practice there but be dissuaded by the negative portrayal. The consequences are heavy. We should be careful with such material.

I agree that there is a value in exposing corruption. All I am saying is that it has to be done very carefully and sensitively to the possible harm.
_/|\_

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:15 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Hickersonia

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 am

Supposing that we are qualified to judge, what precisely are we to do about it? I don't see how any facts will be gleamed on the matter, as the only people who know what is going on there are the monks there. If they are tolerating (or worse, supporting) the commission of parajika offences, let their kamma be their own undoing.

I don't see any way for this to go any further in a productive direction, friends... :thinking:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

perkele

Postby perkele » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:19 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 am

Every person or persons has a mixture of positive or negative traits, if we only focus on the negative we could almost make anyone look bad, does this writer say anything positive about any of the monks in this book, if not then there has to be a strong bias, because I'm sure they have their positive points.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:42 am

Last edited by BlackBird on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:45 am

Well what are the crimes, all we've talked about are bad medicine and not meditating.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:53 am

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 am

I know a few monks who have practised there including at least one Thera. So far, they have good opinions of the place and of Ven Ariyadhamma. I have no reason to think they are lying and they are certainly more credible than a "disclosure" which appears more like an anonymous poison pen letter from a disgruntled employee.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 am

_/|\_

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 am

A couple of questions: Is the book aimed just at the culture within a specific monastery or within the "Pa Auk tradition" as a whole? Isn't Na Uyana a "Ramañña Nikāya" temple where at present they teach "Pa Auk" style meditation rather than part of a Burmese monastic tradition? Is the "Pa Auk tradition" a monastic grouping with it's own monastic culture or is it just a system of meditation?

We do all need to be circumspect when we place our faith in particular institutions. Misconduct should really not come as that much of a surprize - why would it be otherwise?

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Sad, but true--all religions attract losers, those emotionally empty, and layabouts. It's even worse in cultures that encourage Monk-worship.
Take off your blinders, friends. We have a real problem here. Buddhism is dying because of people like these.

Hickersonia

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 pm

_/|\_

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 pm

One crazy prisoner does not discredit the thesis.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm

_/|\_

Crazy cloud

Postby Crazy cloud » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”