Hello there

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello there

Postby Bunks » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 am

Hi everyone

My name is Luke and I live in a small town just outside Melbourne in Australia.....look forward to chatting with you all about the dhamma of the Theravada!
Bunks

Re: Hello there

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 am

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:meditate:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 am

Welcome Luke! :group:

I'm an Aussie too.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Bunks » Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 am

cooran wrote:Welcome Luke! :group:

I'm an Aussie too.

With metta,
Chris

Where do you live Chris?
Bunks

Postby Ben » Thu May 30, 2013 8:29 am

Greetings from across Bass Strait!
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 am

Brisbane - I'm a banana-bender! :smile:

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

Welcome Luke!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Bunks » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Ben wrote:Greetings from across Bass Strait!

Ahhhh....Tassie! Beautiful part of the world.....I've been watching The Gourmet Farmer. Great show. Shows off the beauty of your state.
Bunks

Postby PadmaPhala » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am

Aussie! the first web forum i was part of, was full of aussies. very nice ppl btw.
PadmaPhala

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am

Hello there. Welcome.
DW has a large representation of Aussie Buddhists. I wonder if the demographics on DW correlates to the world population of English speaking Buddhists, adjusting for internet access?
pilgrim

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Greetings from Werribee.

:hello:

(Pilgrim ~ another possibility could be that many Buddhist temples here are quasi cultural centres catering to ethnic communities*, so those who are interested in Buddhism for other reasons find more aligned fellowship online... )

* - the obvious exception being Ajahn Brahm's monestary out in Western Australia but that's so far away for those in the so-called "eastern states" that it may as well be in New Zealand

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings from Werribee.

:hello:

(Pilgrim ~ another possibility could be that many Buddhist temples here are quasi cultural centres catering to ethnic communities*, so those who are interested in Buddhism for other reasons find more aligned fellowship online... )

* - the obvious exception being Ajahn Brahm's monestary out in Western Australia but that's so far away for those in the so-called "eastern states" that it may as well be in New Zealand

Metta,

Werribee! Wow....go through there on the train every day on my way to work. I live in Lara.
Bunks

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Greetings,

Well it's quite possible you've whizzed passed me on the V-Line, while I've stood there like a sucker on the freezing platform, waiting for the Metro train to pull in.

:lol:

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Bunks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Well it's quite possible you've whizzed passed me on the V-Line, while I've stood there like a sucker on the freezing platform, waiting for the Metro train to pull in.

Metta,

:tongue:
Bunks

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 am

Welcome Luke, I'm from Sydney, but live in California, miss my homeland, fortunately i've got free long distance to Aus to keep in touch with family etc. Hope you get something meaningful from participating here. I know I have enjoyed it since I rejoined recently, Cheers
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Postby PadmaPhala » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

Kali' is the only state æ* will stay from the usa. *same pronunciation as I
PadmaPhala

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 pm

pilgrim wrote:I wonder if the demographics on DW correlates to the world population of English speaking Buddhists, adjusting for internet access?

But do they speak the Queens English? :tongue:

PS Welcome Bunks!
Spiny Norman

Postby Bunks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:55 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,

Do you have any regular meditation group you sit with in the western suburbs retrofuturist?
Bunks

Postby Bunks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I wonder if the demographics on DW correlates to the world population of English speaking Buddhists, adjusting for internet access?

But do they speak the Queens English? :tongue:

PS Welcome Bunks!

Does anybody speak the Queens English!!!
Bunks

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:44 am

Greetings,

Bunks wrote:Do you have any regular meditation group you sit with in the western suburbs retrofuturist?

No, there's not much in the way of Theravada organisations (or any Buddhist institutions for that matter) anywhere near Werribee - are you aware of anything on the Geelong side of Lara?

If I meditate, I meditate solo... but to be honest, the closest I get to formal meditation nowadays is Bikram Yoga - and there is one of those in Werribee!

Otherwise, it's just a matter of watching the qualitative nature of the body, mind and thoughts, satipatthana-style... right effort, noble eightfold path etc.

:meditate:

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions