Bhikku's Regarding Money & Activities

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Zenainder

Bhikku's Regarding Money & Activities

Post by Zenainder »

Hello forum,

I respectively ask with the intent to better understand the Theravada tradition I am walking the path through. The nearby temple I have access to, upon a festival visit celebrating the sri-lankan new year and the temple's new meditation room addon (a significantly large addon): a bhikku was speaking and had made request for financial donations above and beyond food. Recommending a "meritorious" donation of 10% income replicating the ages of kings before us. This is the first I have heard of a bhikku strongly encouraging financial donation and seems odd now that I've read more regarding the conduct they should follow. Having been in religious circles before this, it does not surprise me that money seems to be a reoccurring issue, however I am deciding how to reflect on this and hope to hear from the forum thinks. I believe it was Venerable Henepola Gunaratana speaking at the event at the time I heard this.

Also, as I follow the temple on facebook, I've noticed different pictures of visits to museums and the like by one of the bhikku who resides there. Is this activity unusual?

I am not fretting to these things. I simply want to mindfully find a teacher in whom will assist my practice. Perhaps the visits and ongoings of the bhikku is irrelevant for my practice, but I am very open to any shared thoughts.

Thanks,

Zen
mirco

Re: Bhikku's Regarding Money & Activities

Post by mirco »

Hi,

as far as I know, a Bhikkhu should only ask his Kappiya directly for things and never ever no one else.

:broke:
appicchato

Re: Bhikku's Regarding Money & Activities

Post by appicchato »

Not right...according to (what we're told of) the Buddha's words...

Sri Lankan monks have a political party, in government...go figure...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Bhikkhus Regarding Money & Activities

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Does A Bhikkhu Beg?

Even if a donor has given some money to a lay-attendant (kappiya = one who makes things allowable), inviting the bhikkhu to ask for whatever he needs, the bhikkhu should not order the kappiya to buy this or buy that. He should only say, "I need this." If the kappiya fails to buy what the bhikkhu needs, the bhikkhu has no argument with the kappiya. He should inform the donor that his donation failed to provide anything, and leave it to the donor to sort it out.

The donation is held in trust for the bhikkhu by the kappiya. The money does not belong to the bhikkhu, nor to the kappiya — it still belongs to the donor.

Fund-raising by bhikkhus is ugly — it should only be done by lay supporters. A bhikkhu may, and indeed should on the appropriate occasions of thanks-giving, talk about the benefits of giving. It is then done after the gift has been given, not in the hope or expectation of receiving offerings.

The longest rule in the Pātimokkha is hard to practice correctly. It is only human nature to be misled by greed. If I learn that my kappiya has received a large donation, it is almost inevitable that I will start thinking, “What do I need? What can be bought with that amount?” Before I heard about the donation, I had no such thoughts about what I needed, so how come they arose afterwards? Is it really a legitimate need, or is it just greed?

Note that a bhikkhu can ask his blood relatives for requisites, even if not invited.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Does A Bhikkhu Beg?

Even if a donor has given some money to a lay-attendant (kappiya = one who makes things allowable), inviting the bhikkhu to ask for whatever he needs, the bhikkhu should not order the kappiya to buy this or buy that. He should only say, "I need this." If the kappiya fails to buy what the bhikkhu needs, the bhikkhu has no argument with the kappiya. He should inform the donor that his donation failed to provide anything, and leave it to the donor to sort it out.

The donation is held in trust for the bhikkhu by the kappiya. The money does not belong to the bhikkhu, nor to the kappiya — it still belongs to the donor.

Fund-raising by bhikkhus is ugly — it should only be done by lay supporters. A bhikkhu may, and indeed should on the appropriate occasions of thanks-giving, talk about the benefits of giving. It is then done after the gift has been given, not in the hope or expectation of receiving offerings.

The longest rule in the Pātimokkha is hard to practice correctly. It is only human nature to be misled by greed. If I learn that my kappiya has received a large donation, it is almost inevitable that I will start thinking, “What do I need? What can be bought with that amount?” Before I heard about the donation, I had no such thoughts about what I needed, so how come they arose afterwards? Is it really a legitimate need, or is it just greed?

Note that a bhikkhu can ask his blood relatives for requisites, even if not invited.
Thank you very much for your reply, bhante.
Should I be mindful and proceed in attendance? Then after time and attendance decide to stay?
kilanta

Post by kilanta »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Does A Bhikkhu Beg?
Now there must be a some bhikkhavo who don't have any living blood relatives left or maybe some there are some who have gone forth as orphans. Are these special cases allowed to ask requisites from someone else? Or are they left with those who give them an "open" donation ie. telling the bhikkhu to ask for any requisite they might need?