The moment one attains Nibbana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
acinteyyo

Re: The moment one attains Nibbana

Post by acinteyyo »

Stefan wrote:What does the meditator realize the moment he attains Nibbana? I think he realizes anatta, isn't that so?
I don't think we can say correctly that "someone attains nibbanā". if there is nibbanā, there isn't greed, hate and ignorance respectively there is not-greed, not-hate and not-ignorance. when we say "someone attains nibbanā" I am sure that this will be misunderstood by any puthujjana.

best wishes
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

acinteyyo wrote: I don't think we can say correctly that "someone attains nibbanā".
Well, yes, but extreme tiredness and irritation may arise in the mind streams that have caused postings to arise on this Forum if there is an insistence to rewrite all questions in Abhidhammic terms, such as:
"What is it that is cognised by the citta that takes nibbana as an object?"
[Which may not be the technically correct way to express it, but it is the best that the stream of nama-rupa commonly known as "Mike" can manage at this point in time...].

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

For a summary of the Abhidhamma exposition of what happens see Page of
A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma , edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi IX.34, page 354
Purification by Knowledge and Vision
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=hxo ... lQTussnmCQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

mikenz66 wrote:
acinteyyo wrote: I don't think we can say correctly that "someone attains nibbanā".
Well, yes, but extreme tiredness and irritation may arise in the mind streams that have caused postings to arise on this Forum if there is an insistence to rewrite all questions in Abhidhammic terms, such as:
"What is it that is cognised by the citta that takes nibbana as an object?"
[Which may not be the technically correct way to express it, but it is the best that the stream of nama-rupa commonly known as "Mike" can manage at this point in time...].
Metta
Mike
yes, this may happen. but when invalid questions (invalid because of wrong diction) are asked, answers to those invalid questions are inappropriate, except the answer points out that the question is invalid. any other answer will lead to misunderstanding. in addition to that, there is nothing to say about nibbanā which could be understood by words (written or spoken) which leads to the cessation of dukkha. but there are things the buddha said about nibbanā, which lead to intellectual understanding. so my opinion is to leave questions about nibbanā by side would be adequately because intellectual understanding doesn't lead to the cessation of dukkha. naturally no one has to leave those questions by side when he or she doesn't want to, it's a matter of what the aim is.
best wishes
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

I like Chris's answer:

ditthosi
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.