More troubling news

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
daimond

Send letter to editor of Time Magazine

Post by daimond »

I already send letter to time magazine about his cover magazine would make my saftey in dangerous in indonesia because this cover would make me target by violance groups in indonesia

http://www.time.com/time/letters/
email_letter.html

more letter send to editor time magazine would be more better result.

Think the other innocent bhikku (sangha) would be target by this kind violance group in your region
householder

Re: More troubling news

Post by householder »

Daimond, this is all rather pointless and your arguments are both illogical and hypocritical. It strikes of the regurgitated drivel spouted by unthinking 969 drones/followers in Myanmar, particularly online.

First, the article has already been published and the magazine disseminated (except in Burma, where it has been banned on the basis of 'security' - looks like the government was, as everyone suspected, only paying lip service to so-called press freedoms - they get revoked as soon as the government finds a thin excuse to do so or something is published that it doesn't like. But hey, stick a few pictures of Daw Suu Kyi on front covers and everybody's happy and don't probe much deeper.) So what good would writing letters to the TIME editor do? What do you expect to come of it?

Second, it is unlikely that Buddhists in Muslim countries will be at heightened risk of attack purely because of this article. Where there already is persecution, it is for other reasons. This won't (and I'll be surprised if it does) start persecution in areas where there previously wasn't any.

Third, your argument for stopping further publication/distribution of this article is that it will endanger the safety of Buddhists in Muslim countries.

The irony and hypocrisy is really quite staggering - though I doubt many of the brainwashed 969 Bamar Burmese 'Buddhists' (Burma's equivalent of the Aryan race) have devoted a single brain cell to this whole affair at all.

What about the hate speech being promulgated by Wirathu et. al that has already claimed lives in Myanmar? Not too many Myanmar 'Buddhists' seem to be calling for that to be curtailed, and the same government that moved swiftly to ban Time magazine's publication in Burma has lifted not a finger to stop hate speech being circulated against Muslims.

So, the position seems to be that it's ok to publish hate speech against Muslims that HAS led to persecution, death, destruction and violence (and arguably ethnic cleansing), but it's NOT ok to criticise Burmese Buddhists/monks that promote that hate speech, because that MIGHT lead to persecution, death, destruction or violence against Burmese Buddhists/monks, in Myanmar or beyond. Monks are not infallible and are not beyond criticism or reproach.

If there eventually is a Muslim backlash, it will be because the monk-led anti-Muslim campaign and its proponents have collectively succeeded in a massive, sustained and violent provocation of a religious group that has so far failed to take the bait. If this keeps going someone or some group somewhere, eventually, will have had enough and will snap. And then the entire anti-Muslim campaign becomes self-fulfilling and validated, all hell will break loose and the Burmese government/Tatamadaw will get exactly what they appear to be angling for - divide and rule. Same as it has been for a long time. I will be as far away from the country as I can when that happens.

Finally, I'm sorry to point this out to you, but Wirathu IS the face of Buddhist terror, like it or not. The best and only argument his supporters and shocked 'Buddhists' can come up with is that he hasn't directly advocated violence. Of course he hasn't, he doesn't need to. He's damn well aware of the consequences of his actions of body, speech and mind and how it influences and incites people - he's been at this game for years. What the article fails to address (which is why it doesn't really make any useful contribution to proceedings) is the state forces that are pulling his strings and for whom/which he is the patsy.
daimond

Post by daimond »

did you already read the article? after post in here, i been given a clue by someone to the certain web where there a duplicate news.

It not only speak about bhikku wirathu only,but mynmar/burma people and it speak about srilanka buddhist situation too and follow to budhist in south thailand.

I admit it is quit dark and even the finaly paragraph give a bit light.

I life in Indonesia so we buddhist in Indonesia are minorty and there a growing violance group in here not only target ch ris tian (church bom), as you know the borobudur temple even be target of bom in long time ago.

Maybe not so seen from other people out side my nation.

My you life in peaceful day

daimond
daimond

Time Magazine Usa cover 1 july 2013

Post by daimond »

this cover in usa edition, if the bhikku wirathu cover not okay in usa teritory but okay for the rest all the world did you not find this time magazine are racist?
Hickersonia

Re: Time Magazine Usa cover 1 july 2013

Post by Hickersonia »

daimond wrote:this cover in usa edition, if the bhikku wirathu cover not okay in usa teritory but okay for the rest all the world did you not find this time magazine are racist?
I don't know if there is anything racist going on, but I did find it really odd that the cover was different in the U.S.

Anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of this particular magazine? Our local libraries don't carry it and I can't find a print copy anywhere -- I'd prefer to not buy a subscription just to read a single article...
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
householder

Post by householder »

On that point I agree with you daimond - I find it utterly bewildering that they decided not to publish it in the US. And yes, on reflection, that does raise questions as to TIME's intention behind the whole thing.

Hickers, which country are you in? I'm sure I'll be able to track down a bootleg copy in Myanmar...
manas

Post by manas »

But over the past year, images of rampaging Burmese Buddhists carrying swords and the vituperative sermons of monks like Ashin Wirathu have underlined the rise of extreme Buddhism in Myanmar — and revealed a darker side of the country’s greater freedoms after decades of military rule. Buddhist lynch mobs have killed more than 200 Muslims and forced more than 150,000 people, mostly Muslims, from their homes.

Ashin Wirathu denies any role in the riots. But his critics say that at the very least his anti-Muslim preaching is helping to inspire the violence.
Outside threats to our religion are nothing as compared with this - those inside the religion itself forgetting that at it's core lies tolerance, compassion and patience.

:(
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

manas wrote:
But over the past year, images of rampaging Burmese Buddhists carrying swords and the vituperative sermons of monks like Ashin Wirathu have underlined the rise of extreme Buddhism in Myanmar — and revealed a darker side of the country’s greater freedoms after decades of military rule. Buddhist lynch mobs have killed more than 200 Muslims and forced more than 150,000 people, mostly Muslims, from their homes.

Ashin Wirathu denies any role in the riots. But his critics say that at the very least his anti-Muslim preaching is helping to inspire the violence.
Outside threats to our religion are nothing as compared with this - those inside the religion itself forgetting that at it's core lies tolerance, compassion and patience.

:(
:goodpost:
_/|\_
binocular

Re: Time Magazine Usa cover 1 july 2013

Post by binocular »

Hickersonia wrote:I don't know if there is anything racist going on, but I did find it really odd that the cover was different in the U.S.
It's not that uncommon that there are different covers of Time in different countries.
It's so common that googling" different covers of Time" gives plenty of results, eg.
http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ti ... 11-11?op=1
http://www.davidairey.com/time-magazine-covers/
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

SDC wrote:And for the record, despite the fact that these men are bad monks, I feel just as bad for them as I do the people that are dying. The situation sucks.
It's how things have been in Burma for the past fifty years and more.

manas wrote:Outside threats to our religion are nothing as compared with this - those inside the religion itself forgetting that

at it's core lies tolerance, compassion and patience.
But do they really?
Is there a constitutional and obligatory text of the religion of Buddhism where tolerance, compassion and patience are listed as being the core of Buddhism?

It could be that we in the West have an overly sterile, overly sanitized version of Eastern religions altogether.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
daimond

Post by daimond »

As far i know there a sangha, didn't know how this sangha power dealing this kind situation.

And there (read the artikel) BBS (bahu bala sena, if i not wrong written it) in local and this group maybe and maybe like my local rascal group in indonesia (such front muslim defender(FPI)), in britan maybe (EDL, English defend league)

beside there, there 969 group could be said this Bhikku wirathu support group, it said there many stiker with 969 plester every where.

Indonesia goverment, have quit difficult control or deal to this kind group in indonesia, so i could said mynmar goverment maybe quite difficult to deal this kind rascal in there too.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I assume the same article is in the american issue, just not on the cover.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
chownah

Post by chownah »

I googled "time magazine Asian edition" and got to their site where you can see all of the editions for around the world for every recent issue.
chownah
householder

Post by householder »

Attended a 'press launch' two nights ago of the proposed amended marriage law - where a Muslim must convert to Buddhism if he wishes to marry a Buddhist woman, and she must have the consent of both her parents and the local authorities. Over 1,000 monks were in attendance. It was held in an enormous monastery compound in Insein complex in Yangon, where Wirathu was also residing (he wouldn't receive me or my colleagues for an audience though, which is a pity as I'd prepared a question). I doubt this will end up in the Western press as there were no foreign journalists in attendance.

There was then a Q&A session (which was terminated as soon as a white foreigner wanted to ask a question) with spokesman and senior monks. One question was about 'fake monks' and what was being done about them. The rather glib response was 'They will be dealt with' with no further details provided.

An interview with one monk included questions as to whether women either supported this proposed law or had been consulted and whether the proposed law would continue to be pushed if it turned out women didn't support it after all (anecdotally, many women REALLY don't support it but are harassed and harangued if they voice their opposition).

This unelected, unaccountable lobby group of monks effectively proposing a private bill answered that: a) They are consulting with women and considering their views (not a single nun or representative of any womens' groups was in attendance); and b) The law would be put to Hluttaw (Parliament) and it's a matter for them to take further. Bottom line: This is protecting women (a previous interview translated to "They are not intelligent enough to protect themselves"), Buddhism and Burma.

It appears, therefore, that elements of the Sangha (and yes, they ARE properly ordained monks and abbots) have not only embraced this politicised and nationalistic role, they are proactive, vociferous and influential advocates. The religion appears to be increasingly inextricable from political matters and it appears a lot of monks and lay people are quite happy and even proud of this - they wouldn't be proudly displaying the 969 logo as self-styled defenders of the faith, which apparently, for some, now goes hand-in-hand with being a Burmese Buddhist, if they weren't.

The timing was particularly unfortunate as it came on the same evening the two foreign telecoms licenses were announced. One of them, Oredoo, is Qatari-owned. On social media and on the ground people are unhappy that a Muslim group has been awarded the contract and already there are ridiculous notions of a conspiracy by the OIC and accusations that Qatar will use Myanmar to launder money through Oredoo. It all is really quite farcical.
daimond

Post by daimond »

And not forgot the forigen politice of mynmar as far i understand there would build oil pipe pas this region to china this closenes make certain nation dislike the ide the mynmar closenes relation to china.