Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Strive4Karuna

Re: Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Be VERY AWARE, not to get corrupted by powers. We do not pratice in order to gain special powers to think we are better then everybody else. NO. Everybody has the potential to gain these powers but we pratice in order to end our suffering and attain the ultimate goal. NOT, to gain special powers. Remember this!!
Uilium

Post by Uilium »

Zom wrote:
I thought traditionally special powers were associated with attaining the jhanas?
This is because jhanas are the states of the supreme mindfulness .)

PS: 4 foundations of mindfulness (satipatthanas) are said to be "samadhi nimittas" in the suttas, that is, "themes" or "objects" of the mind in samadhi.
Oh yeah right. I mean mindfulness mindfulness...I mean mindfulness where you concentrate on reality instead of concept
Uilium

Post by Uilium »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
polarbuddha101 wrote:
Digity wrote:Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.
The foremost power indeed.

:goodpost:
:goodpost:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Yes...well maybe being able to be mindful on the first breath in the morning until you fall asleep?
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

After an experience of what somebody call "meditation madness" (and let the mind cool down isolated from other people), I'v had a period of a couple of months of a special mindful state. Could "read minds" by just watching the "non-verbal language", and it was very interesting to have that ability, but also a little disturbing. Disturbing, because it gave a certain feeling of being able to control other people. It's facinating to just watch the other persons changing "masks" to accomodate all different personal situations and needs, and to be able to "see" what is really going on in their ordinary minds.

But all of this wasn't to me, a "special power", it was just a period of "extreme" and stable mindfulness.

:candle:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters