Conspiracy nuts, gay marriage, and immigration.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alan

Conspiracy nuts, gay marriage, and immigration.

Post by alan »

Hi friends.
The government is not trying to take over your home. The brown people aren't all criminals. And the gays sometimes are decent people, too. Real Buddhists have more important things to think about, and certainly don't obsess on petty hatreds.
Right?
Aloka

Re: Conspiracy nuts, gay marriage, and immigration.

Post by Aloka »

alan wrote:Hi friends.
The government is not trying to take over your home. The brown people aren't all criminals. And the gays sometimes are decent people, too. Real Buddhists have more important things to think about, and certainly don't obsess on petty hatreds.
Right?
Hi alan,

I don't live in the USA so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Can you also explain what you mean by "real Buddhists" please ?

With metta,

Aloka
alan

Post by alan »

I'm referring to a recently closed thread, in which some long-term practitioners expressed opinions which seemed quite nutty.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

alan wrote:I'm referring to a recently closed thread, in which some long-term practitioners expressed opinions which seemed quite nutty.
Oh ok, I didn't see it, sorry.
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

alan wrote: Real Buddhists have more important things to think about, and certainly don't obsess on petty hatreds.
Right?
Hmm, perhaps I would have reading one of those more important things if I hadn't clicked on this thread. Who determines what "Real Buddhists" are?
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha
alan

Post by alan »

Not a who, a what. People who obsess on petty things are not real Buddhists. Isn't that obvious?
binocular

Post by binocular »

Vern Stevens wrote:Who determines what "Real Buddhists" are?
The High Council of Real Buddhism. Only the spectacularly advanced get the one-in-a-million-kalpas chance to be evaluated and considered for beginner membership. All others can just go to hell.

:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

alan wrote:Not a who, a what. People who obsess on petty things are not real Buddhists. Isn't that obvious?
Ah, when you point a finger at others, four fingers keep pointing back at you.
:cry:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
alan

Post by alan »

Which means what?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

binocular wrote: Ah, when you point a finger at others, four fingers keep pointing back at you.
:cry:
I can't get my thumb to point backwards.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
binocular

Post by binocular »

Lol. Is it opposable?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

binocular wrote:Lol. Is it opposable?
Yes, fortunately. Just not double jointed. :smile:
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

alan wrote: The government is not trying to take over your home. The brown people aren't all criminals. And the gays sometimes are decent people, too. Real Buddhists have more important things to think about, and certainly don't obsess on petty hatreds.
Right?
I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories either, but aren't you conflating some things here? Of course brown people are not criminals, gays are decent, but those who are concerned about big government do not necessarily believe in the other things you mentioned.

The government does sometimes take over people's houses; it is allowed under eminent domain rules. I don't expect it to happen, but the Constitution even allows soldiers to take up residence in virtually any home, including your home, if necessary. And the government does sometimes have corruption and I don't think you would disagree with that.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Vern Stevens wrote:
alan wrote: Real Buddhists have more important things to think about, and certainly don't obsess on petty hatreds.
Right?
Hmm, perhaps I would have reading one of those more important things if I hadn't clicked on this thread. Who determines what "Real Buddhists" are?
I think one of the inferences is that "real Buddhists" don't have any problem with government surveillance of all their phone calls and emails, not to mention forum postings......
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

alan wrote: People who obsess on petty things are not real Buddhists. Isn't that obvious?
What is obvious is that many, many "Real Buddhists" come with all sorts of problems, imperfections and fetters they have to overcome. Many of them also come with big egos and are often judgmental of other people, something which is a very non-Buddhist activity. "Real Buddhists" endeavor to practice compassion, even for those with whom they disagree, rather than call their ideas "nutty" or threaten to physically assault them by spanking them because they don't like their attitude. I've seen that on this board and rather than thinking that person was malicious and "not a Real Buddhist", I thought, this person must be suffering, like all the rest of us, and he/she is resorting to unskilled behavior as a result.

It would be nice to see members of a "Sangha" be supportive of the suffering and trials of the other members, not judgmental and deriding of them.

Edit: I realize I'm assuming that a forum board of people with similar interests is a very loose "sangha", or perhaps better termed a community.
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha