In defence of smilies

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Re: In defence of smilies

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote: You know you can turn them off right Tilt?

For anyone that doesn't know:

Under the User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display smilies as images (OFF)
That is a damned-if-you-damned-if you-don't option. If one turn of the smiley display one is left equally annoying text were the smiley would be. As I have said, I have tuned them out for the most part, but I do get pleasure from killing them when I reply to a msg.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

i like them one advantage of them is if you read a long post and you lose where your at you can locate it by using the smile
cooran

Post by cooran »

I :heart: Smilies (one or two :smile: at a time) !!!

Tilt translation so he doesn't have to vandalise a post. " I love Smilies!!! (one or two at a time) !!!

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
binocular

Post by binocular »

Emoticons - not necessarily smileys, though - are useful for online communication, as they can help convey the intended tone of one's message. Spelling things out is sometimes too tedious, or takes away the edge.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

tiltbillings wrote:That is a damned-if-you-damned-if you-don't option. If one turn of the smiley display one is left equally annoying text were the smiley would be. As I have said, I have tuned them out for the most part, but I do get pleasure from killing them when I reply to a msg.
This damn Universe keeps messing with your plans, eh?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

binocular wrote:Emoticons - not necessarily smileys, though - are useful for online communication, as they can help convey the intended tone of one's message. Spelling things out is sometimes too tedious, or takes away the edge.
Yes I agree with this. The mode of conversation on a forum is such that people can easily project the wrong emotions and intent upon other posts if said poster hasn't made his mood and intent a talking point. Emoticons are helpful in that case, especially when you wish to convey that what your saying isn't meant to be taken in a hostile manner :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

binocular wrote:Emoticons - not necessarily smileys, though - are useful for online communication, as they can help convey the intended tone of one's message. Spelling things out is sometimes too tedious, or takes away the edge.
I entirely agree. Sometimes we write something in a colloquial mood, spontaneously and with no intention of adversity or harm, but since there is no visual contact, there is the risk that the other person could take it personally and too seriously. :shrug:

When our intentions are misinterpreted, sometimes we feel like we would like to :toilet:

That's why we need those little funny characters :thumbsup: