YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Equanimity vs indiference - Dhamma Wheel

Equanimity vs indiference

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Modus.Ponens

Equanimity vs indiference

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello all, Ben

I'm writing a post that I should've written a long time ago.

I did a 10 day vipassana retreat in the SN Goenka system. It was the most profound experience of my life. However, I'm starting to question some of the insights I had. The main insight I had in that retreat was that suffering is realy optional, if you train your mind. This came from the insight that unpleasant sensations are not suffering; it's our attitude towards them that is suffering. However if one accepts this conclusion, the reverse conclusion also follows: pleasant sensations are not happiness. That was even more shocking to me, since I don't know how to deal with that conclusion, I don't know how to be happy.

One way to untie this knot is to distinguish sensations in two categories: physical and mental. In that case, my insight was that the unpleasant physical sensations are not suffering, it's the unpleasant mental sensations that are suffering. If that's the case, It's only the pleasant physical sensations that are not happiness; the pleasant mental sensations are happiness.

Maybe this is a oversimplification, but would you say that this is basicaly correct?
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Coyote

Re: Equanimity vs indiference

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Pleasant mental sensations are conditioned, impermanent and non-self, just like anything else. They can be wholesome and factors of the path, and if this is what you mean, then yes, they can be a wholesome form of happiness.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 pm

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Puting it in one sentence, what is happiness?

reflection

Postby reflection » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:43 pm

In my experience it is the search for happiness in both body and mind that is a great cause for suffering. Because bodily or mental, pleasant sensations are not lasting. The most blissful high in the mind is just that, a perception of mind. It may be happiness in one way, but it is just a moment away from the next suffering, so it is not real happiness in that sense. So the Buddha advised not to try and find happiness in these things. It's their very inconstancy that is a cause for them to be suffering. Also, in the arrow sutta it says how the body will always be a source of suffering even if we're enlightened. Which is quite logical to me as sickness, old age and death in this life are not preventable for anyone, even by the Buddha.

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:05 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

barcsimalsi

Postby barcsimalsi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 pm

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:37 pm

I still don't get it. But I have enough faith to try to find out for myself.

:anjali:

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Awaken to non-grasping at sensations.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Zenainder

Postby Zenainder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm

My blog:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”