How Buddhism can help to prevent earth becoming extinct

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sundara

How Buddhism can help to prevent earth becoming extinct

Post by sundara »

Here is a link to a site of how Buddhism can help turn around the runaway global meltdown of the 3 major ice poles:
http://www.ecobuddhism.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Re: How Buddhism can help to prevent earth becoming extinct

Post by DNS »

That looks like a good site. I see they have a Declaration petition, signed first by the Dalai Lama.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

This may be a bit off topic, but...
I can't even see a reason why the earth should exist and I can't find a reason why the earth should be prevented from becoming extinct. All I can see is that human beings aren't acting by nature, a consequence is e.g. human beings destroy their own natural habitat. I think buddhism can't help preventing earth becoming extinct. Buddhism can help human beings acting by nature (according to Dhamma), a consequence would be e.g. human beings wouldn't destroy their own natural habitat.
In the end extinction is a natural phenomenon, no one can prevent conditioned things becoming extinct. And the earth is one of these conditioned things as well as human beings. Trying to change the world will fail, but to change oneself can change the world.

best wishes
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

acinteyyo wrote:This may be a bit off topic, but...
I can't even see a reason why the earth should exist and I can't find a reason why the earth should be prevented from becoming extinct. All I can see is that human beings aren't acting by nature, a consequence is e.g. human beings destroy their own natural habitat. I think buddhism can't help preventing earth becoming extinct. Buddhism can help human beings acting by nature (according to Dhamma), a consequence would be e.g. human beings wouldn't destroy their own natural habitat.
In the end extinction is a natural phenomenon, no one can prevent conditioned things becoming extinct. And the earth is one of these conditioned things as well as human beings. Trying to change the world will fail, but to change oneself can change the world.
Hi acinteyyo,

Not off topic at all. You make the good point that all conditioned things are impermanent, anicca. Even the earth will be gone one day, even the whole solar system. And then at some later time, far in the future, the space dust will reconstitute and re-evolve and re-form a new solar system (Brahmajala Sutta).

I wonder sometimes if even global warming is part of the natural cycle and how much of it is man-made. There were plenty of cycles of warming periods in the past. But on the other hand all of the green innovations and actions are helping to reduce carbon emissions and pollution and for someone like me who lives in major urban areas, I welcome any chance for less pollution and smog. The quality of life will be much greater even if there is no increase in quantity.

In general, most of the green principles of ecology and conservation, and non-destruction appear to be compatible with the Buddha's teachings against destroying life and for example how monks and nuns are not even allowed to destroy or harm plants.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

very well said indeed! :mrgreen:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

This may be a bit off topic, but...

No reason why we shouldnt try to prevent disasters, otherwise we can start taking the view of not bothering to try and cure cancer or treat illness, why bother to solve world hunger? Why bother to prevent wars?

Yes there is anicca but the Buddha didnt want us to sit back and let things happen. Sitting back and letting calamity come about when one could have prevented it is, in my eyes, cruelty. If global warming continues and the enviroment does get worse then a hell of a lot of people are going to suffer, badly

metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Clive
I think you are missing what is meant.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Who is clive?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

ok forgot your name
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

clw_uk wrote: No reason why we shouldnt try to prevent disasters, otherwise we can start taking the view of not bothering to try and cure cancer or treat illness, why bother to solve world hunger? Why bother to prevent wars?
Yes there is anicca but the Buddha didnt want us to sit back and let things happen. Sitting back and letting calamity come about when one could have prevented it is, in my eyes, cruelty. If global warming continues and the enviroment does get worse then a hell of a lot of people are going to suffer, badly

metta
that's why I said: "This may be a bit off topic..."
you misunderstood my posting. any conditioned thing has its cessation and this is unchangeable. buddhism can't prevent anything (any conditioned thing) from its ending. this doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make this world a "better" world (depending on the possibilities we have). but in my eyes it's impossible to make this world a "better" world if we try to change the world. this is out of our range. in range is to change ourselves (if necessary). this is what I wanted to point out.
best wishes
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

acinteyyo wrote:
clw_uk wrote: No reason why we shouldnt try to prevent disasters, otherwise we can start taking the view of not bothering to try and cure cancer or treat illness, why bother to solve world hunger? Why bother to prevent wars?

metta
that's why I said: "This may be a bit off topic..."
you misunderstood my posting. any conditioned thing has its cessation and this is unchangeable. buddhism can't prevent anything (any conditioned thing) from its ending. this doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make this world a "better" world (depending on the possibilities we have). but in my eyes it's impossible to make this world a "better" world if we try to change the world. this is out of our range. in range is to change ourselves (if necessary). this is what I wanted to point out.
best wishes

Did misread you slightly, to me it seemed you were saying "all is anicca so why bother", sorry about that

However one point, you said
but in my eyes it's impossible to make this world a "better" world if we try to change the world. this is out of our range
Hasnt the world become slightly better since the bronze age? I doubt there will be perfection, but that doesnt mean efforts cant change the world for the better to some degree
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

clw_uk wrote:
acinteyyo wrote: but in my eyes it's impossible to make this world a "better" world if we try to change the world. this is out of our range
Hasnt the world become slightly better since the bronze age? I doubt there will be perfection, but that doesnt mean efforts cant change the world for the better to some degree
Yes, I think the world has become slightly "better". I just don't think the world has become "better" because of people changing the world but because of people who changed themselves. For example if people wouldn't commit crimes (maybe they realized that to commit crimes makes things worse) there wouldn't be any laws (relating to crimes) needed. Nowadays we have laws and penalty (made by people to avoid crimes) but this is still a world full of crimes. This won't change till people get insight, completely insignificantly how many laws will be passed even if there were only death penalty crimes wouldn't vanish. As long as there is greed, hatred and ignorance the world won't really change.

best wishes
Last edited by acinteyyo on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

clw_uk wrote:Hasnt the world become slightly better since the bronze age?
Better and worse are just assessments born of craving that wants to reach something. If there was no craving there would be no differentiation of good and bad. Then the things are just like they are.
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Rhino wrote:
Better and worse are just assessments born of craving that wants to reach something.
Reach something, like the end of suffering?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

tiltbillings wrote:
Rhino wrote:
Better and worse are just assessments born of craving that wants to reach something.
Reach something, like the end of suffering?
Yes. As long as there is suffering there are differentiations like better and worse, even on the noble path. I didn't told something else.
Reaching the end of suffering is the end of craving and the end of the volition to reach something.
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma