Maha Bodhi Temple

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Maha Bodhi Temple

Post by DNS »

The "holiest" place in Buddhism, the spot marking the enlightenment of the Buddha, Bodh Gaya, India.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Maha Bodhi Temple

Post by DNS »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I added a date and time clock for Bodh Gaya, which can be seen here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Maha_Bodhi_Temple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you click on the clock you can even get the weather forecast for Bodh Gaya.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I have recently acquired another Buddhist domain name which I use as a redirect to a Dhamma Wiki page on another 'passion' of mine: Maha Bodhi Replicas

Here is the domain, which redirects to an article with a list of all the known Maha Bodhi Temple replicas:

http://www.mahabodhireplicas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there may be more, so I will be adding the others as I find them. If you know of any that I missed, you can let me know here.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

David, thanks so much! :thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The Maha Bodhi Temple under the provisions of the Bodh Gaya Temple Act 1949 has been under the control of Hindus, even though this is the "Mecca" of Buddhism. The provisions call for 4 Buddhist members on the Board, 4 Hindus, and a Chairman who must be Hindu, effectively making it majority Hindu control. Now a Public Interest Litigation has been filed by a Buddhist in India to attempt to finally bring the Temple to Buddhist control.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 04,0,0,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anagarika Dharmapala, founder of the Maha Bodhi Society spent most of his life attempting to get the Temple and area under Buddhist control, but never got to see it happen. Hopefully his dream may finally come true.

:candle: :candle: :candle:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed! Thank you David for bringing news of this important development to our attention.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

An excellent site for up to date news on Bodhgaya
http://www.bodhgayanews.net/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

One more step closer to Buddhist control of the Maha Bodhi Temple:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 04,0,0,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:candle:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

The share with Hindus is maybe some more buddhistic. Wish all that there are not more steps as nessesary. Maybe it would be real merit to make a step aside and give those in "need".
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Dear Dhamma friends,

In the Mahabodhi Temple there are ‘seven places’ clearly marked for the Buddha’s stay at each place for seven days after his attaining Enlightenment:

First week on the throne (pallanka sattaha), second week of the unblinking gaze (animisa sattaha), third week on the walk (cankama sattaha), fourth week in Jeweled House (ratanaghara sattaha), fifth week at Ajapala Nigrodha tree (ajapala sattaha), sixth week at Mucalinda (mucalinda sattaha), and seventh week at Rajayatana tree (rajayatana sattaha).

These places are rather meaningful for visitors. I hope these are not just created (by someone) for pilgrims. Are these the actual places of the ‘seven weeks’? Does anyone know how scholars/archeologists find out the seven places?

Sincerely,

Thomas Law
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The story of Mucalinda is in the suttas:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

I don't think the other stories / legends are there. I read in a blog by Ven. Dhammika that the other things were added by legend (or perhaps they are in the commentaries?) to add to the allure of the significance of this spot.

Even if they are just legends, the significance of this spot is already good enough for me, the first turning of the new dispensation, of a new samma-sam-Buddha and his full enlightenment, the start of a new Dhamma era.
plwk

100kg Thai gold for Shrine

Post by plwk »

The spire of the heritage Mahabodhi Mahavihara will soon be covered in gold.
Devotees from Thailand will donate 100kg of the yellow metal to Buddhism’s holiest shrine, which was rocked by a series of explosions last month.
At today’s prices, the cost of the gold needed would be approximately Rs 33 crore.

More here
plwk

Re: 100kg Thai gold for Shrine

Post by plwk »

I discovered that there are conflicting media reports on how much gold was involved. Ranging from 100-300kg...
Looks like some have gone ahead of myself... here
dagon

Re: 100kg Thai gold for Shrine

Post by dagon »

Why are we surprised that there are conflicting media reports - maybe I could respectfully suggest that what they don’t know they soon invent.

in response to the second link provided in the thread -

The descendants of those who put food in the bowl of the Buddha will benefit because it will increase the number of people who come to the temple. That is not to say that I think the a gold coating will be advantageous for the development of any Buddhist who go there; nor do I necessarily believe that it will aid with the dissemination of true dhamma.

It is also a fact that the Royal family in Thailand has worked, and continues to work very hard for the poor and disadvantaged in Thailand - which is reflected in the high regard that the family is held in by the "Hill peoples' and the Isaan people that i know.

metta
paul