Disappointment with sanghas. No refugee

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Disappointment with sanghas. No refugee

Post by SarathW »

For me there is a wider meaning for Sangha.
Anyone who give me the right advise on the path is considered as Sangha.
This include my parents, teachers, monks (even non Buddhist) and good friends.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

I have found a very inspiring teaching from Ajahn Lee:

A Refuge in Awakening
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... awake.html

I do not quote it because I recommend to read it entirely and paying full attention, as if we were listening to Ajahn Lee himself.
:anjali:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi Surapanyo. Ajahn Lee has a fantastic autobiography on Accesstoinsight. He was a very inspirational monk. I think the book goes on abit too much about the strange psychic happenings, but otherwise it is very good :)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/leeauto.pdf
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

§ 71. Now with what four factors of stream-entry is the disciple of the noble ones endowed? There is the case where the disciple of the noble ones is endowed with verified confidence in the Awakened One: 'Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'

He is endowed with verified confidence in the Dhamma: 'The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One, to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.'

He is endowed with verified confidence in the Saṅgha: 'The Saṅgha of the Blessed One's disciples who have practiced well... who have practiced straight-forwardly... who have practiced methodically... who have practiced masterfully — in other words, the four types of noble disciples when taken as pairs, the eight when taken as individual types — they are the Saṅgha of the Blessed One's disciples: worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of respect, the incomparable field of merit for the world.'
He is endowed with virtues that are appealing to the noble ones: untorn, unbroken, unspotted, unsplattered, liberating, praised by the wise, untarnished, leading to concentration.

— AN 10.92

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... part2.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”