Meditation - Eyes shut or open and What meditation object

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ceisiwr

Meditation - Eyes shut or open and What meditation object

Post by Ceisiwr »

Out of interest do you meditate with eyes shut or open? What do you find works best for you?

Also who mediation practice do you use the most?

For me I meditate with my eyes closed and use mindfulness of breathing :)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
lyndon taylor

Re: Meditation - Eyes shut or open and What meditation objec

Post by lyndon taylor »

My experience has been that Therevada usually recommends eyes shut, and Tibetan often eyes open, or half way open. not really focused in front of you.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
steinghan

Re: Meditation - Eyes shut or open and What meditation objec

Post by steinghan »

I usually begin with open eyes and then close them after 5-15 minutes dependent on when it feels "right" to do so. I am doing anapanasati (a modified Ajahn Lee version) with the air touching the nostrils as main focus point and find it helpful to glance towards the nosetip in the initial fase - and also later on in the session, if dullness should arise, it can help to open the eyes a bit - just enough to make out the contour of the nose - for a few moments. Sometimes - likewise depenent on wether it feels right - I may keep the eyes partly open for more than those few moments.

A useful side-benefit of being used to meditate with open eyes is that one can actually do "cushion-practice" at places where closing ones eyes isn't quite appropiate.