YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Killing and Corruption in Sri Lanka - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Killing and Corruption in Sri Lanka

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
BlackBird

Re: Killing and Corruption in Sri Lanka

Postby BlackBird » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

iforgotmyname

Postby iforgotmyname » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:04 pm

That's terribly sad. I even read that a few long standing members of the SLFP voiced concerns about such a jumbo cabinet brought about by those 18 UNP defectors and were promptly sacked by Rajapaksa.

The whole white garb he wears makes a mockery of sil. When I was in Lanka I saw in the newspapers everyday publicity photos of him making offerings to monks and bowing to Buddha statues and I remember thinking the whole thing seemed very fake.

When I was leaving I got a hold of a newspaper which was describing all the wonderful benefits Rajapaksa was bestowing on Hambantota with his new port idea. Initially I thought ok this is good, finally the South will see some economic benefits, later I realized it is his home town and it all makes sense now, just another example of his cronyism. Did they ever get it built in the end?

Do you think Rajapaksa will be voted in for a 3rd term in 2016?

I read on wikipedia: "The Visva Bharati University of Calcutta in India conferred on him the title Professor Emeritus for his record on human rights."
I had to laugh and wonder if they awarded a professor emeritus to Idi Amin too.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 pm

_/|\_

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am

All,

I came across this yesterday and wanted to share it as it may be of interest to those concerned about goings on in Sri Lanka.

This is a group formed to oppose the intolerance and hatred which is being shown by some "militant Buddhists" (oxymoron?) in the country. Looks like a good initiative.

alan

Postby alan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Should I go there?
Not looking to ordain, just take some pretty pictures, and enjoy the experience. This post makes me want to stay away.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 am

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 am

Recommend you go there and enjoy the place see the following.

1)The world’s oldest tree planted by a human and with a recorded history is the Bodhi Tree which is still living in the city of Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka.
According to records, it was planted in 288BC and was taken as a sapling from the Bodhi Tree under which Buddha became enlightened.
2) Ruwanvalisaya: The largest structure of the world at that time and second only to Pyramids.
3) Sandy beaches.
4) Forest monks.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 am

Hello all,

It's been 10 years since I had the good fortune to visit Sri Lanka - would love to go back again:

Here is a general Google Images link :
http://images.google.com.au/search?site ... iAfgnYH4CA

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

dhamma follower

Postby dhamma follower » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 am

iforgotmyname

Postby iforgotmyname » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Return to “Lounge”