Fate of Jhana Practitioners

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
pelletboy

Fate of Jhana Practitioners

Post by pelletboy »

Will one inevitably be born in the immaterial realms if one has attained fine material and immaterial jhanas or should one be in the said jhanas at the moment of death to be born so? If one is not born in the said realms when one is not in the particular jhana at the moment of death and one has a choice to be born where one wishes to be by what jhana you enter into at the moment of death then why was Asita the seer crying and thought he had no way to meet the Buddha after death because he attained immaterial jhanas? If one is born in higher fine material and immaterial realms then why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
santa100

Re: Fate of Jhana Practitioners

Post by santa100 »

Pelletboy wrote:
why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
A monk after passing the first 4 "form" jhanas and reach the next 4 "formless" jhanas should not stop there according to the teaching. There's the 9th one (last one): cessation of feeling & perception, the final steppting stone toward arthantship and enlightenment. So, the formless jahnas mentioned in the Suttas are the means to an end but are not the end themselves.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pelletboy

Post by pelletboy »

santa100 wrote:
Pelletboy wrote:
why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
A monk after passing the first 4 "form" jhanas and reach the next 4 "formless" jhanas should not stop there according to the teaching. There's the 9th one (last one): cessation of feeling & perception, the final steppting stone toward arthantship and enlightenment. So, the formless jahnas mentioned in the Suttas are the means to an end but are not the end themselves.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If one would look at the case of Asita the seer, there is the risk of being reborn in the immaterial realms after death if one does not attain the fruits of the DHamma(from stream-entry to arhatship). So why encourage it?
Ben

Post by Ben »

pelletboy wrote:
santa100 wrote:
Pelletboy wrote:

If one would look at the case of Asita the seer, there is the risk of being reborn in the immaterial realms after death if one does not attain the fruits of the DHamma(from stream-entry to arhatship). So why encourage it?
Indeed!
It is precisely why some vipassana teachers attempt to get their students well established in practicing vipassana before attempting jhanas as jhanas without a firm foundation in vipassana can be incredibly seductive and fool the unwary into thinking that they have actually become enlightened.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Zom

Post by Zom »

If one is born in higher fine material and immaterial realms then why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
Because with the right view attaining jhana will result either in non-returning or arahantship.
What is more, MN 64 tells that it is impossible to become a non-returner without a jhana:

It is not possible that one could, knowing and seeing overcome the lower bonds of the sensual world without coming to this path and method. It is like one come to a huge standing tree with heartwood, would cut the heartwood without removing the bark and sapwood. That is not possible, in the same manner, it is not possible that one could know, see and overcome the lower bonds of the sensual world, without coming to this path and method.

what is the path and method, to dispel the lower bonds of the sensual world? ânanda, the bhikkhu secluding the mind thoroughly, by dispelling things of demerit, removes all bodily transgressions that bring remorse. Then secluding the mind, from sensual thoughts and thoughts of demerit, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion abides in the first jhana (an so on up the jhanas).

http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ta-e1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pelletboy

Post by pelletboy »

Zom wrote:
If one is born in higher fine material and immaterial realms then why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
Because with the right view attaining jhana will result either in non-returning or arahantship.
What is more, MN 64 tells that it is impossible to become a non-returner without a jhana:

It is not possible that one could, knowing and seeing overcome the lower bonds of the sensual world without coming to this path and method. It is like one come to a huge standing tree with heartwood, would cut the heartwood without removing the bark and sapwood. That is not possible, in the same manner, it is not possible that one could know, see and overcome the lower bonds of the sensual world, without coming to this path and method.

what is the path and method, to dispel the lower bonds of the sensual world? ânanda, the bhikkhu secluding the mind thoroughly, by dispelling things of demerit, removes all bodily transgressions that bring remorse. Then secluding the mind, from sensual thoughts and thoughts of demerit, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion abides in the first jhana (an so on up the jhanas).

http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ta-e1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is stated in the Jhana book ny Bhante Henepola which I think he derived from the suttas and the commentaries that there were arhats who achieved arhatship through dry-insight alone without jhana much less those who achieved non-returnership without jhana...
Zom

Post by Zom »

It is stated in the Jhana book ny Bhante Henepola which I think he derived from the suttas and the commentaries that there were arhats who achieved arhatship through dry-insight alone without jhana much less those who achieved non-returnership without jhana...
The sutta speaks for itself. Buddha says "impossible". So it's up to you to decide if the sutta lies or not ,)
chownah

Post by chownah »

Zom,
The description of first jhana (from MN 64) is interesting. I went to the link you provided and read the entire description of the first jhana and the last sentence is this:
" ânanda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds of the sensual world."
What I'm wondering is if this is indicating that there is some other method when it says "this too is a method"? I do agree that MN64 also says "It is not possible that one could, knowing and seeing overcome the lower bonds of the sensual world without coming to this path and method."....so it seems like there is a bit of a discrepency somewhere and I guess it is probably in my understanding.
chownah
pelletboy

Post by pelletboy »

Zom wrote:
The sutta speaks for itself. Buddha says "impossible". So it's up to you to decide if the sutta lies or not ,)
Should one know all the jhanas to be liberated? Or is it enough to have just one, the first jhana? ANd did it say that knwoing jhana inevitably leads to liberation but liberation does not always accompany jhana? If the former is true, then there would not be any puthujana brahmas born because all of them wopuld be Noble Ones am i right?
Zom

Post by Zom »

Should one know all the jhanas to be liberated? Or is it enough to have just one, the first jhana? ANd did it say that knwoing jhana inevitably leads to liberation but liberation does not always accompany jhana? If the former is true, then there would not be any puthujana brahmas born because all of them wopuld be Noble Ones am i right?
Jhana is a tool needed for liberation. Just like, for example, viriya (effort) or mindfulness (sati).
inpractice

Post by inpractice »

in my opinion, practicing jhanas help us understanding four noble truth. to be picky about the place of our rebirth, isn't it attachment to the fetter believe in a self? I think each jhana is important because there are/is difference(s) in each jhana, like cimbing stairs, each jhana is each stage in practicing concentration and right view. Try reading more about jhanas and other suttas, too. Buddhism is hard to understand just by reading it a little
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Agree with Zom.

In MN 14 once-retourner Mahanama (brother of Ananda) still experiancing greed, hatred and delusion, and Buddha say him that it's because he still enjoy sensual pleasures in household life, and that one who develop jhanas have no (mondain) sensual desire.
+
B.B. and Bhante Henepola Gunaratana explain jhana also as a tool.
Also in MN 13 in "Feelings" Buddha say that even jhanas (as supramondain feelings) are suffering, imprmanent and subject to change.
manas

Post by manas »

pelletboy wrote:Will one inevitably be born in the immaterial realms if one has attained fine material and immaterial jhanas or should one be in the said jhanas at the moment of death to be born so? If one is not born in the said realms when one is not in the particular jhana at the moment of death and one has a choice to be born where one wishes to be by what jhana you enter into at the moment of death then why was Asita the seer crying and thought he had no way to meet the Buddha after death because he attained immaterial jhanas? If one is born in higher fine material and immaterial realms then why does the dhamma encourage monks to do jhanas up to immaterial jhanas which would cause one to miss the Sasanas?
Hi pelletboy

unless you are regularly entering into and remaining in the higher rupa or arupa jhanas, why waste precious energy worrying about these hypothetical issues? As for why the Buddha encouraged monks to do jhanas, well there's a lot written about that, but my quick precis is that the mind in it's ordinary, undeveloped state is not strong, calm or sharp enough to see and discern clearly the impermanence and thus unsatisfactoriness of all fabricated phenomena (including the pleasant phenomena in jhana itself) and thus to dis-identify with them, to not construe 'me' or 'mine' in them. (Not saying I've completed this work, far from it. I regard myself as a 'jhana beginner'. But I've dipped my toe in enough times to notice that a bit of samadhi does help the mind to see more clearly. NB I am referring to jhana as instructed in the original suttas, however, and not the commentarial version.)

metta,
manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

:goodpost:
No, sitting for hours on end is not necessary. Some people think that the longer you can sit, the wiser you must be. I have seen chickens sit on their nests for days on end! Wisdom comes from being mindful in all postures. Your practice should begin as you awaken in the morning. It should continue until you fall asleep. Don't be concerned about how long you can sit. What is important is only that you keep watchful whether you are working or sitting or going to the bathroom. Each person has his own natural pace. Some of you will die at age fifty, some at age sixty-five, and some at age ninety. So, too, your practice will not be all identical. Don't think or worry about this. Try to be mindful and let things take their natural course. Then your mind will become quieter and quieter in any surroundings. It will become still like a clear forest pool. Then all kinds of wonderful and rare animals will come to drink at the pool. You will see clearly the nature of all things (sankharas) in the world. You will see many wonderful and strange things come and go. But you will be still. Problems will arise and you will see through them immediately. This is the happiness of the Buddha.
Ajahn Chah
http://www.buddhanet.net/bodhiny2.htm
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
tsurezuregusa

Post by tsurezuregusa »

pelletboy wrote:Will one inevitably be born in the immaterial realms if one has attained fine material and immaterial jhanas or should one be in the said jhanas at the moment of death to be born so?
Hi,

you might want to look up Visuddhimagga, Chapter XIX and Abhidhammatthasangaha, Chapter V. Both deal with kamma and one of their kamma analysis is fourfold:

1. garuka-kamma: heavy kamma
2. asanna-kamma: near-death kamma
3. acinna-kamma: often-practiced kamma
4. katatta-kamma: stored kamma.

VisM and AdS have 2. and 3. reversed when it comes what ripens first. The above list is according to AbS, while VisM has acinna or bahula kamma on 2. and asanna kamma on 3. As far as I know, the fruit of jhana counts as garuka-kamma.

Kind regards,
Florian