YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Thai Theravadin monks and money - Dhamma Wheel

Thai Theravadin monks and money

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fivebells

Postby fivebells » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm

reflection

Re: Thai Theravadin monks and money

Postby reflection » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Although the quote doesn't say Ajahn Lee handled the money himself (perhaps there was a lay person with him, not uncommon when travelling), not all monks keep or understand the precepts equally. So some do handle money.

There is no exception for handling money in the precepts I don't think.

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 pm

I think there is an allowance of three???$$$ in whatever currency was popular in the Buddha's time, correct me if I am wrong.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 pm

No allowance whatsoever. Monks are not supposed to associate themselves directly with any money transfer, which includes engaging in bargain.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Sorry I must have been thinking of the minimum donation of 3?? when going to temple.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

fivebells

Postby fivebells » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks for the perspectives, everyone.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 am

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

Bakmoon

Postby Bakmoon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I read that same book and was also a bit confused, being that Ajahn lee was in the Dhammayutta Nikaya. In other places in the autobiography however, it always shows him as traveling with lay stewards so I suppose that at this occasion Ajahn lee was with an attendant and it was Ajahn lee doing the talking with the driver trying to negotiate a lower price.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:34 am

From the current discussion about Buddhist monks' discipline in Thailand:

Truth about temple cash isn't pretty

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... n-t-pretty

:spy:
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

... For Rojanaphruk, and a growing number of Thais like him, Buddhism in Thailand is failing, unable to cope with a society increasingly under the spell of consumerism and secular ideals. Nenkham is unique in that he got caught.

“But there are likely dozens more monks, senior monks like him, who have the same portfolio,” Rojanaphruk says. “Thai Buddhism has lost touch with reality. The rigours and demands of the system, especially on monks, are out of synch with the realities of life. Times are changing.”

Certainly the days of forest monasteries and secluded monks devoted to a spiritual life at the expense of physical desire are quickly becoming a thing of an idyllic past. Rapid urbanization is changing the face of societies in southeast Asia, and along with it, how people engage with faith.

Rojanaphruk says he remembers the days when his grandmother would wake up before sunrise every morning to prepare food for the alms bowls of monks. “This was the way it was done for thousands of years,” he says. “But who has time for that these days? It’s easier just to give money.”

The result, he adds, is a commodification of Buddhism, particularly in Thailand. Monasteries find themselves competing heavily for the wallets of devotees. According to Rojanaphruk, there are now more than 40,000 temples in Thailand, each looking for a competitive edge over its rivals.

“Merit-making has become big business in Thailand,” Rojanaphruk says. “People offer goods and money to monks as a way to gain favour in the next life. I don’t doubt their faith–they believe in what they are doing. So they build lavish temples and statues, not only in the hopes of having their sins forgiven, but also to gain prestige in society. This is contradictory to Buddhist teaching.”

At the heart of it all, according to Rajanaphruk, is the monetization of faith. “If people stopped looking for easy ways to buy merit,” he says, “like becoming a monk temporarily–a feature of Thai Buddhism–monkhood would not suffer the way it has. Buddhism is a way of life. You can’t simply purchase your way to nirvana.”

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/07/31/when-monks-go-bad/

:shrug:
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:27 am

GraemeR

Postby GraemeR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:05 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 am

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56 am

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Touching money is not such an issue in my opinion, it is the becoming attached to it and the businessisation of monks that concerns me.

For example you must actually pay monks to get ordained as a monk. The going rate for a compulsory donation to a upatcha is about 3,000B. Each monks attending the ceremony will also get around 500B. All up a very expensive affair.

I wonder what all these monks do with the money??
Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”