YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

SECOND JHANA - i have some questions about it - Dhamma Wheel

SECOND JHANA - i have some questions about it

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
lotus flower

SECOND JHANA - i have some questions about it

Postby lotus flower » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 am

Hello dear forum members!

I have some questions about the second jhana:
- is this the only technique for enter the second jhana?:
i focus the mind on delight. i don't focus on other things. only focus the mind on delight. is it the only second jhana technique? i heard about this technique from my teacher.

- i think it is very hard. what must I do with the thoughts??
i have got a lot of thoughts when i try the second jhana. but sometimes i don't thinking 1 minute, and focus the mind to delight one minute. but it is sometimes.
sometimes i have hours when i can't do 1 minute without thoughts.
i usually try the jhana on every day 2 or 3 hours, but sometimes 0 hour, sometimes 4 hours.
this meditation is very hard for me. focus the mind on breathing is easier than focus the mind to delight. (for me breathing meditations are easier)

- i often sleeping into this meditation and don't know why?
:shrug:
thank you for the replies!
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:

lojong1

Re: SECOND JHANA - i have some questions about it

Postby lojong1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Sounds like you are a long way from mastering the first jhana?

lotus flower

Postby lotus flower » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm

We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Although I also think you are not in the first jhana, my advice would be: Before focusing on the joy/happiness/delight, thoughts have to be gone for a long time otherwise the happiness won't be stable enough.

lotus flower

Postby lotus flower » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Martin Po

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Jhana is just a tool, this tool can become an object of suffering. (MN14)

When some one practice jhana, by developement his mind become pure, and he become aware of gross states of mind, and take decision to abandon it. When he continue his purification, he become aware of more gross states of mind, and take decision to abandon it. You should practice your sammasamadhi by this way.

Samadhi is based upon sila.
Purification of virtue, then purification of mind, then purification of view. (MN24)

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

manas

Postby manas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:43 am

Last edited by manas on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 am

See this: 1st jhana by Ayya Khema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4o1Q2QP94
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

lotus flower

Postby lotus flower » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm

manas

Postby manas » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Manas
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

lotus flower

Postby lotus flower » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 am

lotus flower

Postby lotus flower » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:48 am

manas

Postby manas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 am

A clarification

In the course of this interesting discussion we've all had here, I wrote that "thus far I have only managed to drift in and out of the first (jhana)". I now believe that the truth of the matter is even more humble than that - I don't think I have entered into the first jhana at all, at least not in this current lifetime. I now think I was overestimating (not intentionally).

I bring it up in this topic, because it was in this topic that I made that mistaken claim. I want to clarify this in the same 'place' in which the error occurred.

with metta
manas :anjali:

Return to “Samatha Bhāvana”