Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
lyndon taylor

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

Post by lyndon taylor »

And how much of the world's wealth is controlled by corporations, not to mention governments?????
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
householder

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Post by householder »

Raksha wrote:I must belong to the 5% then because I have yet to see any evidence of '...violent treatment of Muslims at the hands of people claiming to be Buddhists.' Arakanese and Bangladeshis fighting over land certainly, and that is very regretable.
How do you explain the violence and deaths in Meikthila, Bago division, Lashio etc. in the last few months - none of which are in Rakhine - as anything other than violent treatment of Muslims at the hands of people claiming to be Buddhists?
However, the idea that the problems in Burma are about a conflict between religions is one that has been grafted onto the facts by the Western media. Of course now it is becoming true, such is the power of propaganda.
Spend 5 minutes in the country and ask Bamar Buddhists from the uneducated to the educated and prosperous what their views are on Muslims and Islam, and this view will be very quickly dispelled. How else do you explain the problems?
Raksha

Post by Raksha »

manas wrote:Or alternatively, there ARE more than enough resources, and the problem is they are not distributed fairly or equitably
'At one time in the world there were woods that no one owned'. (Cormac McCarthy)
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Vern Stevens wrote:
Martin Po wrote: If there is
Triple Gem
4 Noble Truth
Noble Eightfold Path
Respect of Virtue (Patimokkha and 5-8-10 precepts)
So there is Lord Buddha's Teaching.
If there is not, so there is not Lord Buddha's Teaching. It's as simple as that.
Is this the same criteria everyone uses for such pronouncements, or is this your particular criteria? How have you determined this is the criteria? I'm seriously asking, not being facetious.

KInd regards.

Because it's a very base of Buddha Dhamma.
dagon

Post by dagon »

householder wrote:
Raksha wrote:I must belong to the 5% then because I have yet to see any evidence of '...violent treatment of Muslims at the hands of people claiming to be Buddhists.' Arakanese and Bangladeshis fighting over land certainly, and that is very regretable.
How do you explain the violence and deaths in Meikthila, Bago division, Lashio etc. in the last few months - none of which are in Rakhine - as anything other than violent treatment of Muslims at the hands of people claiming to be Buddhists?
However, the idea that the problems in Burma are about a conflict between religions is one that has been grafted onto the facts by the Western media. Of course now it is becoming true, such is the power of propaganda.
Spend 5 minutes in the country and ask Bamar Buddhists from the uneducated to the educated and prosperous what their views are on Muslims and Islam, and this view will be very quickly dispelled. How else do you explain the problems?
History, politics, greed and a "free press"

Metta to ALL involved
paul
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

Martin Po wrote: Because it's a very base of Buddha Dhamma.
Thank you for providing my your conception of the answer.

Metta.
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha
Dan74

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

Post by Dan74 »

Good to reflect on tribalistic thinking in all of us. How much do I identify with Buddhists as "my crowd"?

I've gone through so many labels in my life, Ukrainian, Russian, Jewish, Australian, Buddhist... that the labels are not really important anymore. Which is my crowd? It's a small world, as I see it, and to truly care for "my crowd", I have to care about everyone, regardless of the label.

Thank you everyone for sharing - very informative and thought-provoking thread.

PS I was in Myanmar for 2 weeks back in 1996, Visit Myanmar Year, it was. It felt like coming home actually and for some reason I fell in love with that country like no other. Ever since I've followed it in the news. I hope that saner voices can prevail and further bloodshed is avoided. What a shame for this to happen just when the oppression was lifting after so many years...
_/|\_