Bare Attention

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Beautiful Breath

Bare Attention

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Hi,

Can anyone offer some links to the practice of Bare Attention in the Theravadin tradition? Sounds like it might be very similar to the Zennies Silent Illumination/Shikantaza.

Might go some way top helping me reconcile my previous post in here.

Thanks!

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Re: Bare Attention

I guess also, if there is little difference between Silent Illumination and 'Bare Attention' why would the Chan tradition seem to claim it as their own tracing it back to Hongzhi and probably further?

BB...
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

BB, haven't you asked these questions here before?
_/|\_
Sumangalo

Post by Sumangalo »

I have heard Ajahn Geoff say that the Buddha never spoke of bare attention but only of skillful and unskillful attention.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sumangalo wrote:I have heard Ajahn Geoff say that the Buddha never spoke of bare attention but only of skillful and unskillful attention.
You mayt find this thread of interest:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13538
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sumangalo

Post by Sumangalo »

Thanks Tilt. I had no idea that this was such a hot button topic :shock: . I have a great amount of respect for many of the teachers listed in that thread.
Beautiful Breath

Dan74 wrote:BB, haven't you asked these questions here before?

...probably, in a thousand forums :-)

no harm in the odd revisit though eh?

BB...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sumangalo wrote:Thanks Tilt. I had no idea that this was such a hot button topic :shock: . I have a great amount of respect for many of the teachers listed in that thread.
Interesting business. A lot of blowhard opinion mongers in that thread, including me.

danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi BB,
I find value in both Analayo's and Thanissaro's takes despite the divergences. It's probably not an either-or situation, and taking sides is probably not good for one's practice. It's probably best to test things for yourself and use wisdom to guide you through the "results."
Kindly,
dL
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

danieLion wrote:I find value in both Analayo's and Thanissaro's takes despite the divergences. It's probably not an either-or situation, and taking sides is probably not good for one's practice. It's probably best to test things for yourself and use wisdom to guide you through the "results."
This is a good point. As shown with the simile of the cook (@ SN 47.8), we need to develop the precise method by applying the principles in our own case while calmly and honestly assessing results.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]