Evolution and Intelligent Design/Creationism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

placeholder1

Post by Ceisiwr »

Expelled - no inteligence allowed, look at what happens to people who don't tow the evelutionist line, and think how much money goes into the accepted line through credible means in comparison to ID (credible being university grants etc not private funding to further a view such as is the case with most id funding), also it is interesting to know what a leading scientist of the evolutionist theory thinks about how life started.
c

Cant really see how this film comes into the discussion. That film was creationist propaganda. The "intelligent Design" argument is nothing more than religious belief dressed as science

The reason its rejected by the mainstream is because of that very fact, its religious faith not scientific search for truth

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Cittasanto

Re: Is tobacco a drug

Post by Cittasanto »

it wasn't the ID part but what happens to people who legitimately stray away from what is accepted, but if you actually look at the film you would see what it is actually about.

EDIT
you may wish to see what the film is about before jumping to conclusions
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Manapa wrote:it wasn't the ID part but what happens to people who legitimately stray away from what is accepted, but if you actually look at the film you would see what it is actually about.

EDIT

And your assuming that i havent. I have watched the film, it basically was saying "look at these martyrs"

The people in those films were/are pushing to teach their religious belief, dressed up as science, in centres of learning. It would stunt learning

To drift into the debate to back this point, you cant say "God did it" because that doesnt explain anything, in the same way as saying "God makes storms" doesnt explain how storms comes to be and in fact shields the truth. If we stuck to the view of God making storms, we would have never learnt anything about storms and human knowledge would be stunted

I watched an interview with the guy who presented the film (forget his name) and it came down to the fact that he didnt like evolution because it leaves out a need for God and threatens the possibility of an afterlife, he didnt like that so he backs ID. I have read that he now "doesnt believe" in evolution :roll:

metta
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

clw_uk wrote:
Manapa wrote:it wasn't the ID part but what happens to people who legitimately stray away from what is accepted, but if you actually look at the film you would see what it is actually about.
EDIT
And your assuming that i havent. I have watched the film, it basically was saying "look at these martyrs"

The people in those films were/are pushing to teach their religious belief, dressed up as science, in centres of learning. It would stunt learning

To drift into the debate to back this point, you cant say "God did it" because that doesnt explain anything, in the same way as saying "God makes storms" doesnt explain how storms comes to be and in fact shields the truth. If we stuck to the view of God making storms, we would have never learnt anything about storms and human knowledge would be stunted

I watched an interview with the guy who presented the film (forget his name) and it came down to the fact that he didnt like evolution because it leaves out a need for God and threatens the possibility of an afterlife, he didnt like that so he backs ID. I have read that he now "doesnt believe" in evolution :roll:
metta
ok try watching it without thinking this is ID's attempt at crushing evolution (which it isn't) it is an atttempt to start a propper debate without scientists fearing reprimand for agreeing with an alternative view, ID doesn't necessarily equate to the abrahamic view of how it all began there are other possibilities which can't be looked at because there is not enough people looking at the question due to the reprisals.

I don't actually agree with ID as it stands, but science works by having a question and working out ways of answering that question (premiss) and then seeing if this or these are correct or not in anyway shape or form, not thats wrong because it means a god exists, or teaching that would stunt growth, which arent arguments but a distraction from actually addressing the question. which they don't acctually want to answer because it would mean being wrong about something pottentially
a monkey throwing poop still gets poop on himself, and that thinking in and of itself stunts learning.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hey

ok try watching it without thinking this is ID's attempt at crushing evolution (which it isn't) it is an atttempt to start a propper debate without scientists fearing reprimand for agreeing with an alternative view, ID doesn't necessarily equate to the abrahamic view of how it all began there are other possibilities which can't be looked at because there is not enough people looking at the question due to the reprisals.
From memory i think most of those scientists are Fundemental Christians. However ID doesnt have to mean Theism, i agree here. However it still falls apart even if you claim it as Deism since it doesnt explain anything and stops people asking questions to explain said problem

Take the origin of the universe. We can either say an intelligence did it or we can be honest and say "we dont know" and investigate that. The scientific mainstream admits they dont know and are working to discover the secret. The IDers claim they already know through intelligent design, although there is no proof so it falls back onto faith and hence its a personal conviction and not scientific knowledge
I don't actually agree with ID as it stands, but science works by having a question and working out ways of answering that question (premiss) and then seeing if this or these are correct or not in anyway shape or form, not thats wrong because it means a god exists, or teaching that would stunt growth, which arent arguments but a distraction from actually addressing the question. which they don't acctually want to answer because it would mean being wrong about something pottentially
a monkey throwing poop still gets poop on himself, and that thinking in and of itself stunts learning.
But by saying god or some intelligence did it doesnt explain anything. The only scientific and honest way is to admit "we dont know" and apply the scientific method to find out. Saying that a god did it is ending the race before you began because you already claim an answer to the question while real science starts with the question and tries to find the answer

Intelligent design and the like belong in the realms of religion and philosophy class not science class, where Iders want it to be

And yes the film was an attempt to promote ID at the expense of Evolution by the film trying to equate the theory with the holocaust and totalitarian communist governments. Ben Stein has also gone onto deny evolution, i think on the grounds of not enough evidence as well as the above mentioned
crimes :roll:

Stein: …Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.
As i said, religious creationist propaganda, need i say more?

metta
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Like I originally said it was a related note not subject, this is a tobacco related thread where I am discussing a particular part of that subject not ID or creationism V's Evolution, although thankyou for proving my point Clw.

stray from the pary line your shouted down.

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:How accurate, Manapa, is Expelled - no inteligence allowed?
not sure irony maybe?

John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:
I'm not sure how you actually feel, as emotions are hard to express, and easy to misinterprete over the internet.
But the way you have been talking in this thread, I think, has some serious potential to cause suffering.

Stay well my friend.
That does not quite answer the question about the film that you quoted and what you have said is an ad hominem.

But do tell me why calling smoking a stinky filthy habit would cause suffering, or why objecting to the denial of the connexion between smoking is a cause of suffering, given that the United States tobacco companies have admitted in courts of law the connxion about which they have known for decades and have given up billions of dollars in compensation as a result. in other wortds there is a large body of evidence to make the connexion point, contrary to Manapa's supposed evidence otherwise. I'll believe the tobacco companies.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:
not sure irony maybe?
No, a straightforward question.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Manapa wrote:Like I originally said it was a related note not subject, this is a tobacco related thread where I am discussing a particular part of that subject not ID or creationism V's Evolution, although thankyou for proving my point Clw.

stray from the pary line your shouted down.

Because its an attempt to distort scientific truth and pursuit of truth into personal convictions

:focus:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:Smoking kills an untold numbers of people, but I am not interested in getting into squabbles about this or that connexion or lack of connexion. Basically and undeniably, it is a stinky, filthy habit, which those who opt to smoke certainly have some right to do, but - in the very least - they have no right to inflict the effluvia of smoking upon others, but that is the least of what smoking inflicts upon others.
Hi Tilt been going over some of the other posts again which I referenced but didn't reply to!

just to be clear I am not saying smoking doesn't have ill effects, or in some cases contribute to a genetic predisposition, but the evidence doesn't always match other evidence and there lies the problem. I know there are some conditions which are 100% smoking related you name or at least hint at them above and earlier if i remember correctly, but there are others which are at the very least so weakly linked and highly pomped that someone who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag could break - to use a rather over hyped comparison :) evidence is selectively fed to the public and the studdy isn't credited so it can be reviewed by interested public easily.

It was actually a non-smoker who pointed out the problems initially to me.

John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

placeholder

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:

Because its an attempt to distort scientific truth and pursuit of truth into personal convictions
That characterizes the "documentrary" rather well.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:

That characterizes the "documentrary" rather well.
actually it caracterises allot of what is said on the subject rather well from both sided.

poop flinging is not truth

John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

actually it caracterises allot of what is said on the subject rather well from both sided.

poop flinging is not truth

Its important to defend scientifc truth and the scientifc method from being twisted to suite the whims of individual or group convictions, otherwise truth and reality get distorted or lost

Evolution is a scientific theory that is well grounded in evidence and tells us a great deal about reality, ID does not have any of this since there is no real evidence because its based on belief and doesnt really tell us anything about reality

Something that explains everything actually explains nothing

As i said earlier, saying "god did it" doesnt explain anything because you take that as the answer to the question so all questioning and investigation stops, learning and development stops. Why bother trying to investigate if you already know the answer behind it, which is what ID stands for
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Gentlemen
Lets get back to topic - smoking.
Anything to do with intelligent design, feel free to start a new thread.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..