Dhamma Ending Age

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Aloka

Re: Dhamma Ending Age

Post by Aloka »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:

Pointing out wrong view is great in a teacher - student relation, or for an individual to apply to him or herself. When people of different convictions start using it to discredit alternative viewpoints, that is just unhelpful and unpleasant.

As to the whole "dhamma lite" thing - I have no doubt it is just the same as has always been the case. Right after the Buddha died, different groups started popping up all over the place. Sthaviravadins, Mahasamghika, Dharmaguptakas, Sarvastivadins, Sautantrika, and then of course all the widely different Mahayana schools. I bet the "wrong view" accusation has been used a lot of times in heated debates even back then, and the "dhamma ending age" argument likewise..."Your beliefs are different than mine, therefore the dhamma ending age is here!"

:goodpost:
Digity

Post by Digity »

The end of the Dhamma is ultimately in our hands. The teachings are kept alive through us so ultimately if the Dhamma comes to an end it will be through our own lack of dedication to the true teachings. If you want to keep the Dhamma alive then keep up with the practice and further develop your wisdom.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Arjan Dirkse wrote: True...but some tact is called for. When everybody just starts quoting scripture to prove that everyone else is wrong, you can't really have a fruitful discussion anymore.

Pointing out wrong view is great in a teacher - student relation, or for an individual to apply to him or herself. When people of different convictions start using it to discredit alternative viewpoints, that is just unhelpful and unpleasant.
I certainly agree with that. However, as I said, not every point of view is necessarily useful. It does seem to me that some of the modern secular/Dhamma Lite/etc approaches risk losing important aspects of Dhamma. Putting some aspects aside "for now" is quite different from arguing that they have no significance. And that is what one sometimes sees: wholesale dismissal of some aspects of the Dhamma with pejoratives such as "cultural baggage".

:anjali:
Mike
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Morphing Monasteries: Commercial Buddhism in Thailand

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
binocular

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote:We have less consensus on whether some modern developments ("Dhamma Lite" if you like) are actually ineffective but it's obviously a question worth exploring.
Of course they are effective. The only question is toward what goal.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!