looking for all the suttas on meditation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jcsuperstar

looking for all the suttas on meditation

Post by jcsuperstar »

i want to put together a guide on all the suttas that deal with meditation
could you guys help me out by helping me make a list?

metta
jc
appicchato

Re: looking for all the suttas on meditation

Post by appicchato »

I'll get you started...MN 10... :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

jcsuperstar wrote:i want to put together a guide on all the suttas that deal with meditation
They are all over the Nikayas, especially. It sounds like a great endeavor and I wish you well in this project. That would be a good compilation to have for anyone studying the Dhamma.

It may take a while, but the "journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step" and will be well-worth it.

Here's one of many: Anguttara Nikaya 9.36 on the Jhanas, but of course there is much repetition in other places.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Leigh Brasington http://www.leighb.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lists MN Suttas containing significant references to jhana here:
http://www.leighb.com/studymn.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And may have some other stuff spread about that site.

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thanks!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

MN 61: Ambalatthikarahulovada Sutta

MN 62: Maharahulavada Sutta
"Rahula, develop meditation that is like fire..."
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

you are going to have to categorize them according to something like
meditation techniques
pre-requisites for meditation
results of meditation (concentration/insight)
place in whole systems (like noble eightfold path, gradual training)

very soon you will have the whole tipitaka through a meditation lense :) , but it is a great project
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Individual

Post by Individual »

jcsuperstar wrote:i want to put together a guide on all the suttas that deal with meditation

metta
jc
Go here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to "meditation". That should give you a lot to start with.

It would be good to have a Dhammapada-like compilation of statements by the Buddha about proper meditation.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:
They are all over the Nikayas, especially. It sounds like a great endeavor and I wish you well in this project. That would be a good compilation to have for anyone studying the Dhamma.

It may take a while, but the "journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step" and will be well-worth it.
I second this but cant really add anything which hasn't been mentioned, although if you look at my exploration I refference quite allot of suttas, which can be found in the index, although I am going to go through at some point and copy all the sutta names down for another page if I do seen I'll PM you a copy of that page.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

cool.

yeah the only way i've though about breaking it up so far is by types of meditation...
i guess this would also be interesting to see just how much of the sutta pitaka is dedicated to meditation
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Individual

Post by Individual »

jcsuperstar wrote:cool.

yeah the only way i've though about breaking it up so far is by types of meditation...
I think that has already been done by the early Theravada commentators in their commentaries or Abhidhamma. To my knowledge, the "forty objects of meditation" is a list of all the specific objects of meditation by the Buddha. This object of meditation goes along with the four jhanas. And there is also signless concentration, which does not involve any object or jhana (i.e. reflection on voidness, nibbana, the highest reflection -- not voidness or nibbana as a concept, but a nonconceptualized reflection devoid of self-view, which Theravadins don't generaly teach because describing it tends to only confuse things).
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra