Insight timer for iphone, ipad and android: review plse

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BlackBird

Re: Insight timer for iphone, ipad and android: review plse

Post by BlackBird »

Haha you're not the problem here Ben, you'd be welcome in my lounge. It's the random yogis from Europe and America that have me raising my eyebrows :lol:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
poto

Post by poto »

Kim OHara wrote: Hi, poto,
I have had similar problems with new software on computer and discovered after a while that there was a volume setting in the software settings quite separate from the volume setting on the OS, such that you need both of them to be set fairly high to get any volume out of it. I haven't used Insight Timer but it might work that way - worth another look, maybe.

:namaste:
Kim

Edit: fixed typo :embarassed:
Aye, that's why I haven't deleted the app from my phone yet, as I thought it might be something like that. I have yet to break down and read the manual, but I might give the manual a crack this weekend if my random-button-pressing doesn't yield the desired results before then.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

poto wrote:
Kim OHara wrote: Hi, poto,
I have had similar problems with new software on computer and discovered after a while that there was a volume setting in the software settings quite separate from the volume setting on the OS, such that you need both of them to be set fairly high to get any volume out of it. I haven't used Insight Timer but it might work that way - worth another look, maybe.

:namaste:
Kim

Edit: fixed typo :embarassed:
Aye, that's why I haven't deleted the app from my phone yet, as I thought it might be something like that. I have yet to break down and read the manual, but I might give the manual a crack this weekend if my random-button-pressing doesn't yield the desired results before then.
:lol:
:clap:
Kim
Anders

Post by Anders »

On iOS I always preferred iSamadhi. They told me they were working on a port to Android years ago but it hasn't materialised...

On Android, I prefer the Zazen Meditation Timer. Really like how configurable it is.

Might give the insight timer another go though it didn't win me over last time I tried it. I miss the journaling feature from iSamadhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Anders wrote:On iOS I always preferred iSamadhi. They told me they were working on a port to Android years ago but it hasn't materialised...

On Android, I prefer the Zazen Meditation Timer. Really like how configurable it is.

Might give the insight timer another go though it didn't win me over last time I tried it. I miss the journaling feature from iSamadhi.
Hi Anders,

Insight Timer has a journal feature. Perhaps its only on the paid version? I have it on mine but I must confess I don't use that feature.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

I use an iPhone and use the app "Samsara." I rather like it. You can set how long you'd like the mediation to be, with bells at certain intervals. Also, you can turn off the countdown if you find that distracting, and are left with a white circle that slowly fills in orange till your mediation is over. It's a very nice, bare bones timer, that I've experienced no issues with.
shujah

Post by shujah »

Insight Timer is released open source, and use Lotus Bud on my iPhone and with Do Not Disturb. I'm also checking out Mobile Price in Australia it works great.