"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Anagarika

Re: "The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Post by Anagarika »

Having said what you said, Jack, I have always thought you come from a good place with your insightful comments and observations. In other words, http://youtu.be/iDPwBN_IKxs

Metta,

Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost:

Great discussion.

Quote for the day from my desktop calendar:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Ghandi
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ben

Post by Ben »

BlackBird wrote:I have had a bit of a personal change of heart regarding my involvement in these topics. I asked myself last night: What would the Buddha say to me about all this? I think he would ask me:
------------------
Does all this lead to passion or to dispassion?
It leads to passion Bhante.

Is what leads to passion to be cultivated or abandoned?
Abandoned Bhante.

So do not involve yourself in these things, for progress in this Dhamma is achieved by cultivating dispassion, not by cultivating passion.

------------------
That's how I think the Buddha would council me about this.

That's not to say I believe we should not speak about these things as a community from time to time. As others have said a 'conspiracy of silence' I believe could be quite damaging, and I am never in favour of censorship where it is not absolutely necessary. I think it's also necessary to reiterate one final time, because clearly there are some people and Venerables who think my intentions are unskillful: My intentions were almost always for the purposes of trying to improve the state of the Sasana, to help rid it of detritus and to help prevent people from winding up in monasteries that might lead to their disillusionment, where they otherwise might have ordained.

I would caution everyone, lay and ordained too, against projecting intentions onto people. We are not mind readers. If we make judgements of people's intentions without actually knowing them, we run the risk of making them feel bad. Those kind of judgements are never skillful.

I thank the moderation team for a reasoned and moderate decision that takes into account the merits of both sides of this argument.

And finally, I think now might be a good opportunity for me to ask for forgiveness from any persons whom I may have offended by my speech here. I have never intended to offend anyone or to ever make anyone feel unwelcome. So I am sorry if that has ever been the case. I would hope that any further interactions between us might be amicable.

metta
Jack
:anjali: :candle:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
binocular

Re: Scandals in the Sangha and the relevance to our practice

Post by binocular »

Dan74 wrote:Of course ill will is a fault, but not being able to know the minds of others, I prefer to give people benefit of doubt unless conclusively proven otherwise.
When the scandals in Burma have come out, how have many Buddhists reacted? By declaring the actions of those "radical Buddhists" in Burma as hateful, ill-willed etc, repeating how hostilities are not appeased with hostilities and so on. These Buddhists have proposed to know the intentions of others.
And these same Buddhists are in some position of power, such as moderators here. Per default, these people win, get ahead, come out on top.
When I called for a more careful evaluation of the situation, I was accused for supporting a pogrom and such, and how I need an attitude adjustment.

I don't consider myself a Buddhist. I am still trying to decide whether to take up this path or not.
When I look at who gets out on top in conflicts: yes, it is indeed the ill-willed Buddhists. This is the kind of role-modeling that takes place among Buddhists. Not always, but certainly often enough to give me the impression that the Buddhist sangha is yet another installment of the gladiator arena that life generally is.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Binocular, many here were saddened at the news coming from Burma. Some actually have connection to the place. I spent only two weeks but there were amazing two weeks and Ben, I believe, has been a number of times.

Some people may have been angry at what they understand to have happened. While anger is not a wholesome response, we are human beings here and I am fairly certain everyone here gets angry on occasion.

I don't recall much ill-will, if any, but this just underscores how different people's perception are. What I do recall is you trying to excuse the events by arguing that the Muslims in Burma were a threat. They may well have been perceived to be a threat, but I am yet to see any evidence that they were. Whenever such events happen, whether in Yugoslavia, Rwanda or indeed to the Jews in Europe, the minority is perceived to be a threat, but that doesn't excuse it. In any case broadbrushing the people and killing innocents is murder plain and simple, nothing there that can be whitewashed or excused, though of course it is understandably human.

So to be frank, I think you got off lightly. What you were putting forward in that thread I found completely off the mark and inappropriate.
_/|\_
cooran

Post by cooran »

Well said, Dan.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
perkele

Post by perkele »

binocular wrote:I don't consider myself a Buddhist. I am still trying to decide whether to take up this path or not.
When I look at who gets out on top in conflicts: yes, it is indeed the ill-willed Buddhists. This is the kind of role-modeling that takes place among Buddhists. Not always, but certainly often enough to give me the impression that the Buddhist sangha is yet another installment of the gladiator arena that life generally is.
You don't see the good intentions of others, friend.
Our perceptions are also intended, on a very deep level that is hard to access. And the more we get hypnotized into them the more difficult it is to let go.
Take this not as an attack, but as a hint.
Then you will already make some valuable change.
:anjali:
Don't be buddhist or anything. Disengage, disinvolve. That is really the path to peace.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

binocular wrote:When I look at who gets out on top in conflicts: yes, it is indeed the ill-willed Buddhists.
'Gets out on top' means something different for me, I think. How do you define "success", in other words? Reference to social standing and access to social power aren't a part of how I see it.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Imo nobody wins in conflicts. Everybody wins with harmony though.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
perkele

Post by perkele »

BlackBird wrote:
Imo nobody wins in conflicts. Everybody wins with harmony though.
Sadhu!
:anjali:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

binocular wrote:And these same Buddhists are in some position of power, such as moderators here. Per default, these people win, get ahead, come out on top.
...When I look at who gets out on top in conflicts: yes, it is indeed the ill-willed Buddhists. This is the kind of role-modeling that takes place among Buddhists. Not always, but certainly often enough to give me the impression that the Buddhist sangha is yet another installment of the gladiator arena that life generally is.
Life is imperfect. Strong survive, weak die out. In business, sharks seem to get ahead. Would be strange if it were different. Unfortunately as "Broken Buddha" has shown, Catholic church isn't the only one with problems. People are imperfect and can ruin a perfect sangha.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

BlackBird wrote:Imo nobody wins in conflicts. Everybody wins with harmony though.
No. In business it is the sharks that win. Good will is sign of weakness that sharks exploit to their benefit. You try to be nice and give them their fair share only to result that they grab it, and demand "give me more!!!" and then treat you like a rug to walk on, and after all of this they treat you like "it is your fault!". People pretend to be best friends, and then at the first opportunity stab one in the back and try to fleece you as much as possible. Why?
Because as someone who pretended to be "almost like a family member" has said "because I can".

I had seen bad experience of others...

Real life is tough... Either you take your piece from others or they take yours. The resources are limited. We can't just create stuff out of nothing. The $100 that you have, means that someone else didn't get this $100. The food that you ate means that someone else didn't get to eat this... Etc.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Alex123 wrote:
binocular wrote:And these same Buddhists are in some position of power, such as moderators here. Per default, these people win, get ahead, come out on top.
...When I look at who gets out on top in conflicts: yes, it is indeed the ill-willed Buddhists. This is the kind of role-modeling that takes place among Buddhists. Not always, but certainly often enough to give me the impression that the Buddhist sangha is yet another installment of the gladiator arena that life generally is.
Life is imperfect. Strong survive, weak die out. In business, sharks seem to get ahead. Would be strange if it were different. Unfortunately as "Broken Buddha" has shown, Catholic church isn't the only one with problems. People are imperfect and can ruin a perfect sangha.
The perfect Sangha is a conceptual Sangha. Even in the Buddha's day the monastic order had it's rogues, it is said. Looking for perfection in the world of convention is suffering.
binocular

Post by binocular »

BlackBird wrote:Imo nobody wins in conflicts. Everybody wins with harmony though.
Everyone is equal, except that some people are more equal than others, eh?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dan74 wrote:I don't recall much ill-will, if any, but this just underscores how different people's perception are. What I do recall is you trying to excuse the events by arguing that the Muslims in Burma were a threat.
There you go. Imputing on me - again - that I tried to excuse the events there.
Talk about ill will.

They may well have been perceived to be a threat, but I am yet to see any evidence that they were. Whenever such events happen, whether in Yugoslavia, Rwanda or indeed to the Jews in Europe, the minority is perceived to be a threat, but that doesn't excuse it. In any case broadbrushing the people and killing innocents is murder plain and simple, nothing there that can be whitewashed or excused, though of course it is understandably human.

So to be frank, I think you got off lightly. What you were putting forward in that thread I found completely off the mark and inappropriate.
Talk about ill will.
What I've been saying all along. Make stuff up, accuse a person of something they didn't do, and then proceed in righteous condemnation of them.
Thank you. So Buddhist.

This really hurts, you know. I would think that someone who has been practicing Buddhism for so long would actually pay attention to what people say. Instead, it's like highschool all over again. It would be funny if it wouldn't be so sad.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!