Aversion from work - how to stop that

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Aversion from work - how to stop that

Post by purple planet »

I dont mean work as a job but as stuff to do especially aversion from meditation

What is the "cure" in buddhism for aversion
? - i think i read that metta is good for aversion but that probobly means aversion from people and not chores

i dont have a problem with sensual craving - and can overcome sloth and torpor - i think the problem is with this aversion
daverupa

Re: Aversion from work - how to stop that

Post by daverupa »

You'll have to bring mindfulness to bear on the aversion, and make an investigation. Perhaps there is restlessness as well.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

but when the aversion (=laziness?) is strong i cant even be mindful ?
Last edited by purple planet on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Sure you can, though it takes repeated application at times. Even being mindful of laziness is possible, you see. Perhaps changing that inertia is difficult, but mindfulness can show up simply by remembering to be aware. After that, you can discern more wholesome alternatives to behaviors which respond to laziness as an inclination of mind.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
nem

Post by nem »

If you have aversion from meditation, I recommend that you get a copy of Ajahn Sumedho's book 'The sound of silence" and study the chapters on contemplation of the body. Also, if you research on the net, these talks are available for free in pdf under a different title that I don't remember because I bought the hard copy book from the publisher. Basically, there is nothing to do there in meditation....just study the body first, what's happening with that? It's not work. The dhamma and liberation is not about hard work, but just seeing what's in front of you. It's all the dhamma. Don't try so hard. :) There is no one in you to achieve anything, but be with what is. Medidation, doesn't necessarily mean sitting on a cushion. You could check out books like 'http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/food_for_the_heart.pdf' or 'Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness" If meditation is something that only happens on the cushion, that's probably not going to satisfy "you".
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I think you have to psych yourself up.

I would listen to a talk designed to inspire you to meditate.

Most of the Thai Forest talks are essentially pep-talks.

See www.dhammatalks.org for 10-15 min motivational dhamma talks.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

You have to have a goal.
When you have a goal you don’t work but you have fun. :)

Buddha had a goal to find out the way to end Dukkha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

Give up distracting activities, like posting to forums. Give up enough activities and you will not have anything to do *but* meditate. This might be my last post for a while :)
- Mal