Ordinating with HIV

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
boi_83

Ordinating with HIV

Post by boi_83 »

Hi everyone,

I am currently seriously thinking of ordaining permanently as a Monk in Thailand.
However, would it be possible if the person has HIV but is on medication with a stable condition.
Please kindly advise me.

Thank you
appicchato

Re: Ordinating with HIV

Post by appicchato »

Without trying to sound facetious (or anything else), anything is possible in Thailand...and while it could a rough row to hoe, I do believe (after thirty five years here), depending on one's perseverance, that one can find a slot somewhere to be a monk...I would start with a trip to Wat Tham Krabok in Saraburi Province and speak to the abbot there...I think he, better the most, would be (one of) the best informed on the subject...all the best...
boi_83

Post by boi_83 »

Dear Appicchato,

thank you for your advise.
When I 1st visited Thailand on a holiday years ago, I was inspired to be a Monk, at that point in time, I was still HIV -.
However, I just keep putting it on hold until now.
Right now, I am able to get my medication and see the doctor as I am working.
But I am concerned that as a Monk, not being able to work, I do not know how would I be able to see the doctor and buy the medication.
The savings I had put aside for my medical needs would eventually run out and I do not wish to put any burden on the Temple and the lay supporters.
I went to the website of Wat Tham Krabok and it seems that they have a drug and alcohol detoxification programme, do they handle HIV case as well.

Please kindly advise me.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

boi,

Sorry late in replying, also sorry I don't know anything about Tham Krabok other than what is on the website...the answer to your last question is yes, they do deal with HIV cases...

The link below is to a forum of 'Friends of Tham Krabok Monastery...perhaps you can ask some questions there and receive more information than I am able to provide...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... -Monastery

Wishing you well...