U.S. Soldiers on lookout for Drop Bears!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

U.S. Soldiers on lookout for Drop Bears!

Post by cooran »

This proves it is true!! :jawdrop:

U.S. war games soldiers on lookout for Drop Bears
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-22/w ... ection=qld

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Re: U.S. Soldiers on lookout for Drop Bears!

Post by DNS »

:lol: Excellent!
"I was told if we put a little bit of Vegemite [on] it helps repel them."
Someone needs to tell the U.S. soldiers that eating the vegemite repels them even more, since they are attracted to the meat in their bodies and that it might be best if they go vegetarian all the way. :tongue:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hahaha that's too good!
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

The yanks bombed the Great Barrier Reef!
We invite them over to play dundgeons and dragons and then they get carried away.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-21/g ... ef/4833774
They all need a good dose of ritalin, imho.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

David N. Snyder wrote::lol: Excellent!
"I was told if we put a little bit of Vegemite [on] it helps repel them."
Someone needs to tell the U.S. soldiers that eating the vegemite repels them even more, since they are attracted to the meat in their bodies and that it might be best if they go vegetarian all the way. :tongue:
Sorry, guys - the Australian Museum says
There are some suggested folk remedies that are said to act as a repellent to Drop Bears, these include having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears. There is no evidence to suggest that any such repellents work. - See more at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bea ... Ajo5V.dpuf
Incidentally, the idiot who told the Yanks that drop-bears are smaller than ordinary koalas was way off - they are a fair bit bigger. And he shouldn't have warned them anyway, since the best defence against drop-bears is to stand next to more attractive (i.e. meatier, less wary) prey.

:reading:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:The yanks bombed the Great Barrier Reef!
We invite them over to play dundgeons and dragons and then they get carried away.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-21/g ... ef/4833774
They all need a good dose of ritalin, imho.
Ritalin in adults is a heavy duty stimulant. I think the soldiers need to be more concerned about bunyips.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Having formerly been addicted to ritalin I wouldn't recommend giving it to anyone. Giving soldiers speed could make them more dangerous, not less.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:Ritalin in adults is a heavy duty stimulant.
I didn't know that!
tiltbillings wrote:I think the soldiers need to be more concerned about bunyips.
Indeed.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:I think the soldiers need to be more concerned about bunyips.
Indeed.
Nah - not in North Queensland. There aren't any. The crocs eat 'em.

:coffee:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim OHara wrote:
Ben wrote:
Indeed.
Nah - not in North Queensland. There aren't any. The crocs eat 'em.

:coffee:
Kim
Well, I'll take your word for it. I think the following should be part of the Austrailan Tourist Board's literature:

Come To Australia - You Might Accidentally Get Killed
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote: I think the following should be part of the Austrailan Tourist Board's literature:
Thanks, Tilt - it's very thorough and made me snort coffee all down the front of my shirt at one point. :embarassed:
There are minor gaps, though. For instance, if you brush against the stinging tree it will, as he says, hurt like hell at the time, but he doesn't mention that the pain will gradually ease off and then come back when you get that bit of skin wet - for weeks afterwards. Oh, and he misses the mozzies ...

But what I really wanted to direct your attention to, knowing your excellent taste in literature, is the passage near the beginning of "The Last Continent" where,
when Death requested a book about the dangerous creatures of XXXX from his library, he was subsequently hit by a large pile of books consisting of the various volumes of "Dangerous Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Jellyfish, Insects, Spiders, Crustaceans, Grasses, Trees, Mosses and Lichens of Terror Incognita", the total books going up to Volume 29C Part 3, while a request for information about the harmless creatures merely produced a note saying "Some of the sheep".
(stolen from http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/XXXX to save typing)

Lots of foreigners don't 'get' Australia but Sir Terry nailed it.

:reading:
Kim
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Ben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Ritalin in adults is a heavy duty stimulant.
I didn't know that!
A buddy of mine persuaded me of the validity of "ADHD" as a diagnosis in his case by first being somewhat hyperactive for many years, and then after turning into this relatively calm, peaceful person, pointing out that the medication he was taking that evening would cause most people to become jittery and not sleep, but caused him to calm down and helped him sleep.

Fig Tree
dagon

Post by dagon »

Kim OHara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: I think the following should be part of the Austrailan Tourist Board's literature:
Thanks, Tilt - it's very thorough and made me snort coffee all down the front of my shirt at one point. :embarassed:
There are minor gaps, though. For instance, if you brush against the stinging tree it will, as he says, hurt like hell at the time, but he doesn't mention that the pain will gradually ease off and then come back when you get that bit of skin wet - for weeks afterwards.

The cure i learnt from Aboriginal elders was to dig some of the bark out of the tree and wipe the area with the innermost part of the bark - works really well.

But as you said

"Lots of foreigners don't 'get' Australia" :twothumbsup: lol

Metta
paul