Meditation guide for kids?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation guide for kids?

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 am

So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Re: Meditation guide for kids?

Postby Crazy cloud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 am

Hi, maybe this can be of interest .. metta :candle:

your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby cooran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 am

Hello all,

This might be of use:

Guided meditation for Primary Students
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/med-guided2.pdf

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby reflection » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Perhaps have a look at this. I think Thich Nhat Hahn's teaching style is quite inviting to children:

http://www.amazon.com/Planting-Seeds-Pr ... 1935209809
reflection

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Excellent. Thanks, all!
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 am

I stumbled upon this site just couple of days ago.
http://www.children.dhamma.org/
pilgrim

Postby Zenainder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?

Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.
If the words "I", "me", or "you" are used, they are for the use of convenience related purposes. None of these exist, of course. ;)
Zenainder

Postby Crazy cloud » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Zenainder wrote:
Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?

Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.

Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby Zenainder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Crazy cloud wrote:
Zenainder wrote:

Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to say. Are you stating that someone has already linked Bhikkhu Yuttadhammo's video for children? If so, I apologize for the redundancy I did not see it. :P

Metta,

Zen
If the words "I", "me", or "you" are used, they are for the use of convenience related purposes. None of these exist, of course. ;)
Zenainder

Return to Theravada Meditation