The value of recollecting the Buddha before meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
BlackBird

Re: The value of recollecting the Buddha before meditation

Post by BlackBird »

Ah, well perhaps we do not disagree as much as I imagined when it comes to dependent co arising and indeed nama rupa. As to the latter point, such discussions could go further in private.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Ianand wrote:Or is the mind still too hardened in its views and not yet pliant? (Once more, rhetorical questions, meant for reflection.)
lol, these types of comments are so horribly patronizing.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Viscid wrote:
Ianand wrote:Or is the mind still too hardened in its views and not yet pliant? (Once more, rhetorical questions, meant for reflection.)
lol, these types of comments are so horribly patronizing.
Depending on how one reads it, it could be offensive. It's a relevant question worded in a respectful way IMHO.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

It is more than a little patronizing, but really there's no need to take offence where it is not intended, sometimes that's just people's habit, and there is value to be taken from their words regardless of whether they picture themselves more spiritually advanced than you. In order to be offended by someone's supposition of being more advanced than you, one needs to hold dearly the idea that one's self is quite advanced also... That's just ego, it has no use. I don't think I'm a big shot Dhamma practitioner, so why would it bother me if someone assumes the role of the teacher instructing me in this Dhamma. That's their choice and we are able to take it or leave it.

But lets keep this topic on track if possible - The topic is about the value of recollecting the Buddha before meditation.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

BlackBird wrote:But lets keep this topic on track if possible - The topic is about the value of recollecting the Buddha before meditation.
Yes, that would be a good idea.
Metadiscussion (discussion about discussion) is in breach of DW's TOS and any further posts containing metadiscussion are likely to disappear without notice and may also attract moderator attention.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

BlackBird wrote:
IanAnd wrote:
BlackBird wrote: Furthermore as far as the suttas are concerned, a faith follower - A Saddhanusari is one who has attained to the path but not the fruit of stream entry. Merely having strong faith in the Buddha does not necessitate the attainment of the path.
I do not disagree with this. But, can you not make the leap of association. . . ? Or is the mind still too hardened in its views and not yet pliant? (Once more, rhetorical questions, meant for reflection.)
Ah, well perhaps we do not disagree as much as I imagined when it comes to dependent co arising and indeed nama rupa. As to the latter point, such discussions could go further in private.
Not necessarily. It just depends upon whether one can accept a general definition of faith follower rather than an orthodox Theravadin definition. In other words, someone who follows something on sheer faith until he is able to do the work necessary for realization and direct corroboration. I had in mind a general definition rather than a "Buddhist" specific definition.

If you go back and read my comment in light of that, you may see that it was made in that spirit.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

IanAnd wrote:Not necessarily. It just depends upon whether one can accept a general definition of faith follower rather than an orthodox Theravadin definition. In other words, someone who follows something on sheer faith until he is able to do the work necessary for realization and direct corroboration. I had in mind a general definition rather than a "Buddhist" specific definition.

If you go back and read my comment in light of that, you may see that it was made in that spirit.
Though it's a little beside the topic: I wonder if we can define the point in which one transitions from being a 'faith follower,' that is, someone who operates exclusively from within the Buddhist religious framework, to someone who is able to 'do the work' for realization and direct corroboration. I imagine this transition is not as sudden as the bounds of the category suggest, and in reality the degree to which one is a 'faith follower' is variable. As one gains understanding of the causes and conditions of things, they become progressively founded on their intuitive, experiential understanding, rather than what they've merely heard or read-- and such intuitive understanding is considered a 'greater truth.' Consequently, appeals to texts as the ultimate source of what is true are therefrom not particularly satisfying.
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

I've contemplated this (with a more open view) and I can see how recollecting the Buddha prior to meditation can give rise to inspiration and devotion for the practice giving it perceived value. Although I do not practice this directly, I do have a small shrine of the Buddha in my den and it does at the very least give rise to further inspiration, like a friendly reminder, to my practice whenever I look or glance at it. I think the "value" is completely conditioned based and it is useful, but not necessary. I do not think its a practice / tradition to become overly attached to. The truth comes from within, after all. :)

I am and have been enjoying this dialogue. Thanks to those who have and continue to contribute.

Metta,

Zen
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Zenainder wrote:I think the "value" is completely conditioned based and it is useful, but not necessary. I do not think its a practice / tradition to become overly attached to. The truth comes from within, after all.
Such practices absolutely do have value as means, as tools, to condition yourself toward aspired ideals. However, it seems as though people regard practices (such as using a shrine, or prostration, or visualization) as either an obligation demanded by their religious identity, or as an irrational attachment to ritual, depending on how religious or opposed to religion they are... each extreme a consequence of being closed and inflexible. There should be no religious identity, and every practice should be seen and understood by the way they exert influence on the practitioner.
Ben

Post by Ben »

To be respectful
to be humble
to be content
to be grateful
to listen to Dhamma at appropriate times
--these are the Highest Welfares

Verse 7 Mangala Sutta
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Viscid wrote:
Zenainder wrote:I think the "value" is completely conditioned based and it is useful, but not necessary. I do not think its a practice / tradition to become overly attached to. The truth comes from within, after all.
Such practices absolutely do have value as means, as tools, to condition yourself toward aspired ideals. However, it seems as though people regard practices (such as using a shrine, or prostration, or visualization) as either an obligation demanded by their religious identity, or as an irrational attachment to ritual, depending on how religious or opposed to religion they are... each extreme a consequence of being closed and inflexible. There should be no religious identity, and every practice should be seen and understood by the way they exert influence on the practitioner.
I can't say that I disagree. "Different strokes for different folks", as they say. I never said it wasn't valuable, surely ANY inspiration regardless of its origin is valuable. I think we are on the same page, if my post has been perceived as derogatory know that it was not within my intention. If this is something you practice then please continue! :D
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Zenainder wrote:I can't say that I disagree. "Different strokes for different folks", as they say. I never said it wasn't valuable, surely ANY inspiration regardless of its origin is valuable. I think we are on the same page, if my post has been perceived as derogatory know that it was not within my intention. If this is something you practice then please continue! :D
I was agreeing with you, and just rambling.
Javi

Post by Javi »

I used to have much aversion to stuff like this, coming from very anti-theistic views I was attached to in the past. But recently I've been doing this daily in the past few weeks, recollecting the nine virtues, along with the triple gem and the five daily recollections. I must say it has lit a fire under my butt, It really does help and I also get pretty strong feelings of joy and happiness while doing it. I used to just think about my practice from a very stripped down point of view, but I can't say I would do it any other way now. Doing this has really made me think about my practice is a more holistic way than before.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14