Meditation guide for kids?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation guide for kids?

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 am

So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Re: Meditation guide for kids?

Postby Crazy cloud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 am

Hi, maybe this can be of interest .. metta :candle:

your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby cooran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 am

Hello all,

This might be of use:

Guided meditation for Primary Students
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/med-guided2.pdf

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby reflection » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Perhaps have a look at this. I think Thich Nhat Hahn's teaching style is quite inviting to children:

http://www.amazon.com/Planting-Seeds-Pr ... 1935209809
reflection

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Excellent. Thanks, all!
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 am

I stumbled upon this site just couple of days ago.
http://www.children.dhamma.org/
pilgrim

Postby Zenainder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?

Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.
Zenainder

Postby Crazy cloud » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Zenainder wrote:
Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?

Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.

Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby Zenainder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Crazy cloud wrote:
Zenainder wrote:

Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to say. Are you stating that someone has already linked Bhikkhu Yuttadhammo's video for children? If so, I apologize for the redundancy I did not see it. :P

Metta,

Zen
Zenainder

Return to Theravada Meditation