YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Meditation routine - Dhamma Wheel

Meditation routine

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Bunks

Meditation routine

Postby Bunks » Thu May 30, 2013 2:49 am

Hi everyone - this is my first post on here so please be gentle with me :tongue:

I'm embarking on a meditation routine that gives me about 30 minutes to meditate each morning. I am currently following an audio breath meditation that promotes mindfullness that I'm enjoying.

However, I'd like to incorporate some other meditations types into my routine (loving kindness, joy, gratitude) but wondered if anyone could give some advice on the frequency of each? For example, should I make the breathing meditation the base of my routine? Maybe do that for 3 days running then throw in one of the other types on the 4th day for a change?

I know each person will develop there own routine but I would appreciate if anyone can give me a sample of what they do to give me somewhere to start? I feel a little overwhelmed!

Thanks in advance :)

Reductor

Re: Meditation routine

Postby Reductor » Thu May 30, 2013 5:10 am

There's many ways to organize a meditation routine. One I know that is used by Goenka students is to meditate for an hour (or half for you) and then have ten minutes of Metta at the end.

Personally, I would begin with breath meditation each day, switching to Metta or Asubha if my mind seemed a little too uneasy to focus on the breath (or sometimes I just hankered for a change of pace :tongue: ).

So try the Goenka routine for a while, or some other routine, and see how it goes. If, after a few weeks, it seems inappropriate for you, tweek or change it. The right routine is that one that seems most fitting for you.

:heart:

Bunks

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 am

floating_abu

Postby floating_abu » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

I think samatha for beginners is fine, if you want you can start with 5 minutes of metta, I guess.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Bunks

Postby Bunks » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 am

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am

- Mal