Sawasdee From Thailand

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Pannapetar

Sawasdee From Thailand

Post by Pannapetar »

Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas; I am an expatriate living in Thailand since 1993. A lifelong interest in philosophy and psychology brought me to study the Theravada school of Buddhism shortly after moving here. I found it very profound and it has an enduring effect on my life. In addition to Buddhism, I have studied other things such as Taoism, consciousness research, psychotherapy, ancient Greek and Indian philosophy, formal logic, cosmology, 20th century physics, though I am not an expert in any of these. Professionally, I am a software engineer.

I stumbled across this forum yesterday and I am looking forward to an inspiring exchange. Thanks to the site owner and the administrators for creating this opportunity.

Cheers, Thomas
Ben

Re: Sawasdee From Thailand

Post by Ben »

Hi Thomas

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I look forward to your contributions.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Thomas
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

There sure are some beautiful temples over there in Thailand. I hope to see them one day.

:buddha2:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Have you ever been to Wat Umong to talk to some Western monk there?
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

Hello Ven. Gavesako,

Yes, I've been to Wat Umong several times, though I did not yet have a chance to talk to the monks there. Looking forward to do so. Most temple visits are a busy affair since I tend to go there with family and friends to make offerings to the monks (Thai style).

I am thrilled to know there's a Buddhist monastery in Freising.

Cheers, Thomas
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I know that there are at least 2 Western monks at Wat Umong (the one near the university with tunnels and big Chedi, not the one downtown), one Australian Ajahn Charles and another Swiss monk. I think they meet with visitors near the lake at Chinese pavillion early afternoon on Sunday. Chiang Mai should really have its own English-language Dhamma scene, dont you think?
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

gavesako wrote:Chiang Mai should really have its own English-language Dhamma scene, dont you think?
That would be nice indeed. In addition to Wat Umong, there is Wat Rampoeng at the canal road and the International Buddhism Centre at Wat Doi Suthep which both offer occasional retreats to English speaking visitors. But I haven't yet come across any "Phra Farang" (foreign monk) based in the city despite living here for four years. While I did not exactly comb through all temples of Chiang Mai, I've been to all of the famous ones. Perhaps foreigners prefer to go to the mountains!? -- I shall schedule another visit to Wat Umong.

How are things in Freising? This is probably one of the places in Germany that Germans would think of as being "erzkatholisch". The soaring golden spire of a Buddhist pagoda would fit wonderfully with the town's cathedrals, wouldn't it? :smile:

Cheers, Thomas
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Yes, it is a funny combination and so far the offical church representatives have been rather reserved towards the Buddhist monks who live in a rented house 100 meters from the cathedral (people can actually see a Buddha image through the window when they come out of the church). We also go on almsround in the old town every day. In the old days, I am sure we would already have been burned at the stake but these days the Catholic church has to be a bit more careful due to the media attention that such a event would surely attract. Anyway, I shall make myself ready for anything (as the old christian saints did, dying for their faith at the hands of heathens...).

:buddha2:
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

gavesako wrote:Anyway, I shall make myself ready for anything (as the old christian saints did, dying for their faith at the hands of heathens...).
Well, let's hope it won't come to that. :smile:

I went to Wat Umong yesterday and listened to the English dhamma talk given by Ajahn Charles (I believe it was him, since he sounded Australian). We went on to feed the turtles and the fish, bought some books, and I also got some information on their meditation programs. It was a lovely sunny day, and an interesting talk that touched upon many subjects. Now I am considering to do a short retreat over there, although probably not any time soon, since I am already booked for another "cave retreat" in the mountains.

Cheers, Thomas