Coffee may lower suicide risk by 50 percent

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
PeterB

Re: Coffee may lower suicide risk by 50 percent

Post by PeterB »

Ben wrote:Thank you Lyndon for the courage to talk about your condition so candidly.
lyndon taylor wrote:And I do not believe the medicine I take in any way hinders my spiritual Journey, short of going on a vegan diet and losing 50lbs, its rather unlikely the amount of medicine I take is going to go down, but that's not any problem, it doesn't make me a second class Buddhist puttajhana that will never reach arhatship because I have a treatable mental illness, as one rather annoying poster tried to say in a thread on mental illness about a month ago, my sicknesses, illnesses, and medications don't define who I am, The buddha defines who I am, just another person on the path, a path to a better way of living.
You are right, neither your condition nor your medication makes you any less a Buddhist.
with metta,

Ben
I am unconvinced that becoming a vegan would have any positive effect on health Mr Taylor..there is growing evidence to the contrary...but why NOT lose 50lbs ? Its been done by many.
:anjali:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Ben wrote:Having said that, very often excellent research does get funded by vested interests such as pharmaceutical companies - it doesn't necessarily mean that because the research was privately funded that the results are biased.
Hi Ben,
This seems off-topic to me. But let's assume for now it's not. Could you provide some examples of such "very...excellent research"?
Kindly,
dL
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

danieLion wrote:
Ben wrote:Having said that, very often excellent research does get funded by vested interests such as pharmaceutical companies - it doesn't necessarily mean that because the research was privately funded that the results are biased.
Hi Ben,
This seems off-topic to me. But let's assume for now it's not. Could you provide some examples of such "very...excellent research"?
Kindly,
dL

Ben, please don't reply "this coffee study we're discussing" But yes there is both good and bad studies being done by both big pharma, and the independent almost unfunded altruists, having no money and wanting to change the world does not necessarily a serious scientific study make, in fact people obssesed with changing things, like big pharma, and some independents, will not stop to fake data to rosy up their cause. Its a real problem determining which studies you can believe, It used to be, major university, public funding, you could trust it, but even that isn't as true as it used to be.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
manas

Post by manas »

Regarding coffee, I've found there are advantages to having it just weak and black, with no sugar or milk. Much more conducive to wakefulness, I've found. Having it weak is important ime, as if it's too strong both the stomach and the mind will be disturbed. (I ought to add that I grind it myself, from organically grown beans, and I could not have that freeze-dried battery-acid-flavoured powder that is marketed as 'instant coffee' in the same manner. That type of 'coffee' does need milk and sugar - to mask it's vile taste.)

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

manas wrote:Regarding coffee, I've found there are advantages to having it just weak and black, with no sugar or milk. Much more conducive to wakefulness, I've found. Having it weak is important ime, as if it's too strong both the stomach and the mind will be disturbed. (I ought to add that I grind it myself, from organically grown beans, and I could not have that freeze-dried battery-acid-flavoured powder that is marketed as 'instant coffee' in the same manner. That type of 'coffee' does need milk and sugar - to mask it's vile taste.)

Now now, that is just snobbery Manas!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Ben wrote:
manas wrote:Regarding coffee, I've found there are advantages to having it just weak and black, with no sugar or milk. Much more conducive to wakefulness, I've found. Having it weak is important ime, as if it's too strong both the stomach and the mind will be disturbed. (I ought to add that I grind it myself, from organically grown beans, and I could not have that freeze-dried battery-acid-flavoured powder that is marketed as 'instant coffee' in the same manner. That type of 'coffee' does need milk and sugar - to mask it's vile taste.)

Now now, that is just snobbery Manas!
Ok Ben, I admit I don't really know what battery acid tastes like...but I imagine that it could be something like a cheap, powdered, instant black coffee :P

But yeah, each to his or her own taste. It is a free country, after all (so I hear)

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Not all instant coffees are the same, Manas. I'd rather a good instant than a crappy ground coffee any day.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

manas

Post by manas »

Ben wrote:Not all instant coffees are the same, Manas. I'd rather a good instant than a crappy ground coffee any day.
Yes, point taken Ben. I do hope it was evident that my deprecating quip about instant coffee was meant in jest. I meant no offense either to it's fans, or it's manufacturers. I was actually kind of sending up the almost cultish obsession with regards to coffee, that some coffee drinkers have (including myself - yes, I am able to laugh at myself also). Just my quirky sense of humour I guess.

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

If coffee disappeared from the planet tomorrow, I would commit suicide.

BB
I'll give up my coffee when they pry the mug from my cold, dead hand.
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Don't you dare, BB.
I am still waiting for the next installments in the Adoration series you are writing!
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Hi Ben,
I began work on LIVE BAIT just before I relocated to Knoxville, the town on which Adoration TN is based. Moving 400 miles cross country has been an exercise in adjustment. I'm still unpacking. I have been feeling the urge to write again since reading The Cassandra Clare series The Mortal Instruments (which are AWFUL). If you haven't read these, imagine someone, after a movie-marathon consisting of Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Twilight, decided to knead all the above together into a thin paste combining the plot-points of the lot. Add amateurish writing and brooding adolescent angst and it's hard to read without laughing aloud. Yet, these are best-sellers.

I will finish both Live Bait and New Face in Town when I can.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Ben

Post by Ben »

No worries, BB.
I'll send you a pm - there's something I wish to discuss with you privately.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

BubbaBuddhist wrote:If coffee disappeared from the planet tomorrow, I would commit suicide.
This looks like a strong attachment!

Might it be good practice to give it up for a week?

Seneca recommends giving up fancy foods for a period, so that you realise you will not feel suicidal when such trivia is unavailable. OK, he's not Buddhist; but aren't Buddhists supposed to stop craving for things?

I went down from 3/4 cups a day to 1... it didn't hurt at all!

Article here suggests instant is the healthiest:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... offee.html

"The soluble granules don't contain the fatty substances found in freshly ground coffee, so there is no risk to cardiovascular health. There is also less caffeine in instant coffee..."

- Mal
- Mal
BrianaDawson

Post by BrianaDawson »

Drinking water is healthy and it's good for your body but if you drink 5 liters a day you can die. The same with coffee, just make sure you are not doing it too much and the prions you take are reasonable. Here is also a very curious video about health benefits of coffee consuming I am a long term strong coffee drinker and I drink about 30oz of it and I am a very healthy person.