Asthma/heart problems and meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Heaviside

Asthma/heart problems and meditation?

Post by Heaviside »

I have asthma and a couple of congenital heart ailments. When I meditate, I am far too conscious of my pulse and chest flutter, as well as a raw lump in my chest I am always aware of. This makes it hard to stay mindful of the breath per-se.

Does anyone here have similar problems? Any advice?
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.
retrofuturist

Re: Asthma/heart problems and meditation?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'd suggest to try focusing on the nostrils as a gateway, and failing that, find a different meditation method for which your ailments will be less of an obstruction.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I'd suggest to try focusing on the nostrils as a gateway, and failing that, find a different meditation method for which your ailments will be less of an obstruction.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Seconded.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

There might be another way to go, as well.

Instead of tightening the focus on the nostrils in order to set aside the other distracting input, you might try blending all the input together such that, no matter what else can be detected about the body, the breathing is noted as a repetitive body-flexion encompassing all the other bodily inputs. This, then, can be the basis for the third step of anapanasati's first tetrad.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Heaviside

Post by Heaviside »

Thanks. It had occurred to me to adopt the "distracting" sensations as part of the breathing, but was wondering if it would provide a focus that was tight enough.

I will give both suggestions a try.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.