Problems with my parents

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Problems with my parents

Postby mario92 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 am

Hi the situation with my parents and with myself is critical they want me to take drugs or antispsicotics but i dont because it makes me a lot of harm like all day somnolence, and secundary efects since 3 years like hunger, im depressed because of that pressure and cant work to gain money and take a retreat of maybe 10 days in wat metta, i dont know if i can go to some monastery soon,( i cant drive). i am reaching an unbeareable mind state and now im thinking of leaving my home to a more spiritual style of life, what did the buddha say about this? Is this an unended suffering or there is an scape? Im next to start the school so i dont know if i can even enter the classes. I cant wait more, is urgent, but im thinking there is some group of buddhists in other city, (even in my city but they are vajrayana and i dont believe they can help me too much) who maybe can help me but i dont know anyway. So what is your opinion about this great problem, do you know if some people in similar situation can did it? Do you believe is conquerable?
mario92

Re: Problems with my parents

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 am

Your parents obviously love you and want to help you. Your doctor is there to help you.
Heed their advice. Speak to your psychiatrist or doctor regarding your concerns.
You'll either get treatment and get some relief from your chronic mental health issue or you will remain confused and miserable.
All the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 am

Ben is right, and gives very good advice, I take anti psychotic medication, sleep a lot and get depressed, and took the meds when I Lived at a Buddhist temple for 3 months and was a monk, so anti psychotic meds are not going to stop you from being a good buddhist or a good person, getting psychotic or having a breakdown you can do much worse, Anti psychotic is not a drug or an intoxicant like the precept tells us we cannot take, it is a medicine, they had herb medicines in the Buddha's time and the Buddha said it was no problem to take them. Please if you have a problem with medicine plead with your doctor to lower your dose or change brands, don't try to quit, not now, you have so much ahead of you, you are so young,

Not taking medicine will ruin your life much quicker than taking it, Please. And please, very important, any drug or alcohol you use will make your problem worse, so you end up having to take more medicine and or go to the hospital. Any street drugs or alcohol makes psychotic illness worse, so you will have to take medicine the rest of your life like me, if you can stay sober for 3 years, you may not need any more medicine, or need less medicine, don't do the stupid thing I did and smoke pot for 20 years so now I cannot sleep AT ALL with out strong medicine, please this is very important.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 am

Excelent advice in the previous two posts. Take them seriously.

Metta.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby mario92 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 am

very nice very nice very nice, you have cleared my mind of a great doubt now i have to go to the doctor, thank you to all of you, very good :smile:
mario92

Postby mario92 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:14 am

i have another doubt if someone can please help me, is about the secundary effects, and the fact of my solitary, serious behavior than for me helps meditation, a behavior towards my family and the people of my school that my parents thinks is psicosis, esquizofrenia, or something like that, they dont know that meditation is needed, and the gradual training that i can use to change my ´´psicosis´´ that my parents doesnt want, but if i dont practice meditation i dont know if i can fullfill the requisites they want for me, even i dont know if the drugs of antipsicotics can help me, with all its secundary effects.

So what is your advice, now i make a treat to take it but without inconfindence in it and in my practice. i dont know if it can be useful for my practice of meditation, or of virtue to become more happy, and serene.
mario92

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:12 am

Be gentle with meditation. If you do it, do it in small amounts of time and only increase little by little.

Regarding medication, you have to choose the situation that causes you less suffering. You either take the medication and have secondary effects, which will decrease when you reduce the dosage; or you don't take the medication and end up going in and out of psychiatric hospitals causing you an enormous amount of suffering. There is no perfect solution, but I would choose to take the medication anytime! But you have to know that sometimes you have to try different kinds of medications in order to find one that works. Take one and, if it doesn't have the expected effects, try different ones until you find the right one.

I hope this helps.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:14 am

Be gentle with meditation. If you do it, do it in small amounts of time and only increase little by little.

Regarding medication, you have to choose the situation that causes you less suffering. You either take the medication and have secondary effects, which will decrease when you reduce the dosage; or you don't take the medication and end up going in and out of psychiatric hospitals causing you an enormous amount of suffering. There is no perfect solution, but I would choose to take the medication anytime! But you have to know that sometimes you have to try different kinds of medications in order to find one that works. Take one and, if it doesn't have the expected effects, try different ones until you find the right one.

I hope this helps.
Modus.Ponens

Return to Lounge