Can an intentional action yield a permanent result?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Can an intentional action yield a permanent result?

Post by Tom »

Can the results of intentional actions/intentions be permanent?
Ben

Re: Can an intentional action yield a permanent result?

Post by Ben »

Greetings Charles,

It depends how you define "permanent". Some things are more permanent than others - as the saying goes.
For some, death is considered permanent and for others - their life is considered to be just a point on a line that can potentially have no end.
Within the traditional Buddhist context, there are some intentional acts that bring about rebirth in heavenly or hellish realms that last extraordinary lengths of time, but even those eventually come to an end.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ben wrote:Greetings Charles,

It depends how you define "permanent".

By "permanent" I mean without possible end.
Ben wrote:Some things are more permanent than others - as the saying goes.
I'm assuming you're using the word "permanent" here differently than I am, but if not:
If "x" is without possible end, and "y" is without possible end, how could "x" be more permanent than "y"?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are five heavy kammas that give a definite result of rebirth in hell in the next existence — killing one's mother, one's father, an Arahant, injuring a Buddha, or causing a schism in the Sangha.

Hell is not permanent according to Buddhism, though it may seem like it for those reborn there. Eventually, the evil kamma that led to rebirth in hell expires and rebirth in other realms is then possible.

The cycle of births and deaths is eternal. Like all circles, it has no beginning or end. However, by practising the Buddha's teaching, the cycle of birth and death can be broken, and the end of suffering can be reached.

So the cycle of birth and death is without end, but not without any possible end. To put an end to death one must put an end to rebirth. Birth has a cause, which is attachment. Attachment has a cause, which is craving, and craving arises due to ignorance. By eradicating craving and ignorance, the cycle of birth and death can cease.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Bhikkhu, does craving have the same meaning in pali as in english, for instance can craving mean "to dwell on" or "obsess over"???
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

ccharles wrote:Can the results of intentional actions/intentions be permanent?
Is it not the case that they are all permanent (i.e. none can be undone) but their kammic importance varies?
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

The destruction of the fetters is permanent, in the sense that once thay are gone they can never arise again. Also the dissolution of the khandhas at paranibbana is permanent in the same way. But I get the feeling this is not what you mean by permanent. There is nothing that arises that does not cease.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

lyndon taylor wrote:Bhikkhu, does craving have the same meaning in pali as in english, for instance can craving mean "to dwell on" or "obsess over"???
Bookmark the PTS dictionary. Taṇhā
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Thank you,Venerable!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/