Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta small price drop on Amazon

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
xinuflux

Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta small price drop on Amazon

Post by xinuflux »

I've been waiting to buy The Connected Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya [Hardcover]. Today I see it has gone down US $3. :jumping:
Jhana4

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta small price drop on Amazon

Post by Jhana4 »

I saw a used edition for $37 on Amazon.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

When I first started taking a sutta class at the vihara back in the 90s I was a student with a part time job. I *think* the Middle Length Discourses cost about $70 then, about two weeks worth of groceries for me. Decades later with a real salary and Amazon in all its glory I picked it up painlessly. Haven't read it yet! :). I think things were the way they should have been. The kindness of my classmates making photocopies for me when I had the interest and the time was something I treasure until this day.

I'm thinking about doing "a sutta week", since I have the book. Have to sort out my schedule first.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
xinuflux

Post by xinuflux »

I hope that eventually after Wisdom has recovered its costs, made its profits, etc. that they will allow the Bodhi translations to be freely available online (like Pariyatti has started doing with some of its classics). I guess the Kindle version will make that more difficult though.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

xinuflux

Post by xinuflux »

Wow. That's a wonderful resource, thanks santa100! Just in case the publisher is worried about "unfair use" or is unsupportive of the project - I am still going to buy the hardcopy...I would imagine I'm not alone.